Unusual PC behaviour?? (weird keyboard issue)

infernalis

Baseband Member
Before anyone picks on me for still using it, I have several notebook machines, and multiple tower units in the house, but this machine has been as reliable and bulletproof as a locomotive, and for general forum cruising it just plain works, so I'm not quite ready to retire it yet.

I have a Compaq Evo D510 that I have upgraded the ram, video and HDD long ago.

It's running XP pro with all current updates, Panda AV, ATI Radion video card, 1 GB ram.

The issue I am having is strange, every once in a while when I use the left arrow key to edit text while posting on a forum, rather than my cursor moving back one space, the whole page jumps back to the previous web page. Murphy's law mandates it's always while composing a long post, subsequently losing all of the typing I just did.

it's almost if the Ctrl key makes momentary contact? so I tried several new keyboards, no joy.... new mouse, same thing.

Like I said before, I use it for basic HTML editing, forum posting and emails.

I am not a gamer, and I really don't ask much of this machine.

I use my win7 machines for the more exciting stuff, but this one is my work horse. Like a trusty old pickup truck, it still hauls the groceries.

It's not overclocked, all the fans are running, no alarms or warnings.

This keyboard thing is frustrating, anyone have a clue?

I would wipe it and reload, but I lost my software key to my Adobe Dream weaver, and I use that program daily.

Last edited:
ALT + Left arrow is a shortcut to go back to the previous page, so it seems that either alt is always being hold in or it gets activated when the left arrow is hit i would guess. I dont really know how to fix it haha, one of the smarter people prob. will, just wait for another member to respond hopefully :) Best of luck :)

thank you, I just played with that.

Intermittent Alt signals while typing could do some bizarre things couldn't it?

I work with electronics for a living, so I know how the carbon pads work inside a keyboard, seems odd that this has surfaced now with 4 different keyboards.

Possibly a malfunction in my PS2 port, I will pick up a USB keyboard tomorrow.

Problem solved.

I went to one of my forums and played around, it is without any doubt intermittent "Alt" signals.

Explains all the freaky behaviours I get while typing on the internet, the popup windows, and such are all from Alt+ any of the letters that drop down file, edit, view, favorites, tools, help, etc..

I had a Compaq Evo D510 too but I couldn't mine going after buying a converter to install a sata HDD and other various issues, So I gave up on it..

Back
Top Bottom