Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-02-2005, 11:33 PM   #1
Beta Member
Default "Unmountable boot volume"?

One of the 3 computers I have has a blue error screen,and says "Unmountable boot volume" and some things about disable the BIOS caching and shadowing and something about uninstall pervious added hardware or software in safe mode.

Well I restart and try to go to safe mode but it won't restart in safe mode. It gives me the same error. So I go to the CMOS and it ask for a password which I do not know. So I googled how to get past that and I cleared the CMOS. Changed my BIOS settings and restarted it. I still got the same error.

So I googled "Unmountable boot volume error" and I came to a site that said I could boot from my windows xp disk and then at the welcome screen press R. Well I don't have a windows XP disk or recovery disk. So it said that if I didn't have it I could download it and put it on floppys. Which it would take 6. I only have four. So I put it on a disk and changed it so my first drive was CD-ROM and I restarted it. Well then it says something was sucessful,but then it says "boot from atapi cd rom: failure" twice and goes to the settings screen where you choose how you want to start your computer up. I click start windows normaly and I get the error screen once again.

Is there anyway I can fix this problem without a windows XP disk or restore disk?

Please give me any suggestions.
Thank you very much.

KrystalWiddaKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 11:39 PM   #2
In Runtime
Default Re: "Unmountable boot volume"?

Have u got a bootdisk?, well if u dont get one put fdisk on it, once booted exectue fdisk and check to see if the partition where the operating system is stored (primary partition) is set active - not sure if it will help, worth a shot though.
Lets all get naked and send pics :)
Interlaced is offline   Reply With Quote