Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-12-2015, 07:04 AM   #1
In Runtime
Default Understanding Chipsets

Just the other day I was formatting and re installing my OS on a tower i had over a period of time. Only to come across the error that no drive was present to load OS on during the process. It asked to load driver (which i found out later to be the chipset driver) I was told by my senior to download the chipset for the mobo.

I was also having an issue where i would format a drive on one machine and try to load it on another but only to get the windows splash screen and then it would cut off - research told me that the chipsets from one board cannot work on another since the drive loads these chipsets.

I would like to understand these chipsets a little more and how they relate to to
functioning of the Hard drives.

--------------------if only i can do better!!------------
Clarence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:14 AM   #2
Fully Optimized
Default Re: Understanding Chipsets

I'd have thought it would have been some sort of SATA III drivers, the best explanation I can think of is that most modern boards come with native/integrated SATA II controllers. SATA III controllers tend to be through a different controller (for example, Marvell), and the Windows installation doesn't natively ship with those drivers, therefore, any hard drives connected to the SATA III ports will not be recognised until the SATA III drivers are installed.

The SATA III drivers (as you've found) will be available on the internet for download and on the drivers CD that came with the motherboard.

Athlon II x4 645 || 1TB 7200rpm HDD || EVGA GTX 650Ti OC || 8GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 7 Home x64

i5 4210M || 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD || GeForce 825M || 16GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 10 x64
joedaman633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:33 AM   #3
Site Team
Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: Understanding Chipsets

Chipsets are more than just SATA ports. Likely what you really needed was the RAID/AHCI drivers and not the chipsets.

Anyways to answer your question:

Chipsets do much much more than just manage SATA. They can generally be broken down into 2 segments. Northbridge and Southbridge. Northbridge typically controls the CPU RAM and some of the graphics (think, do I use integrated or external graphics). The southbridge manages PCI/AGP/PCI-e slots, SATA, PATA (also known as IDE), audio and I think other accessory connections like USB.

Actually, the best solution listed here sums it up pretty well:

"as a fanboy i refuse to admit it and will pull countless things out of my butt to disprove it"

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote