Ubuntu on a usb stick?

Rubber314Chicken

Golden Master
Ok, so I want to put ubuntu on a (2GB) flash drive. So basically when I boot with my usb stick in it'll boot ubuntu, no usb stick and it boots windows.

If I just take the live CD files and put them on my USB stick, I know it will function like that, but if I install packages or something, will they remain when I reboot it? I want it to retain all my files and settings and stuff when I reboot. I do plan on using my HDD for file storage too, I just want all the OS files on my flash drive so if I want my computer linux-free I just remove that flash drive, if that makes sense.

d'oh, thanks

edit- Ok, I followed those instrucitons, and when I used the program in the .ISO, I got this message: "SYSLINUX 3.82 2009-06-09 EBIOS Copyright (C) 1994-2009 H. Peter Anvin et al" and it froze. So I tried again. Same thing. I tried the other program they mentioned, and it functioned just like any plain old live CD. No settings saved.

edit2- I found this: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/ and I've selected 1GB persistence on it, which from what I read there should do what I want... Lets hope!!!

Back
Top Bottom