ubuntu Help! Desperate!

outlawstar4761

In Runtime
I'm a total linux N00b and I just got Ubuntu. But Then screen resolution is huge. So I tried going to the place that lets you check the screen res and stuff but there is only one choice. Which is 640X480 When I normaly use 1024x768. All the stuff I've read is really complicated and I'm sad to say above me. Can anyone help me? Thanks alot!

what type of video card do you have, the driver is probally not installed, and it is using a generic driver

Ahh thanks so much. I'm going to try and find it as soon as I get home! (I'm at school) I hope this works, Ubuntu is so cool. And I would really like to keep using linux. And this seems like my only avanue left. My fedora ISo won't burn to dvd. Phlak crashes when I try to move the mouse, and then there's this res thing on ubuntu. Well...I know no one really cares about all that. I just want to say thanks so much *hugz everyone*

~mr mixx~ said:
What about driver sites ? such as:

Windrivers or Pcdrivers or computerdrivers

Those are all windows driver sites.

Check your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.
In the "screen sections" area add your desired resolution. Also check the graphics device section, what identifier and driver is being used?

If you want, you can post your xorg.conf file and I/we can have a look at it for you.

outlawstar4761 said:
Well I'd be glad to do that. Unfortunatly I don't know where those are. *blush* I'm totaly noob at linux.

Your xorg.conf file is located in /etc/X11/. You edit the xorg.conf file to configure the X server. To access this file, open up a terminal window and type:
Code:
vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf
It is important to note that you must have root privaledges to access this file.

You should now have your xorg.conf file opened. If you don't want to use a terminal window to open the file, use your file manager (as root).

It would be helpful to know what video card your system is using, what is the model number of your PC?

Back
Top Bottom