Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-19-2009, 12:37 AM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Ubuntu 9.10?

Hey just a quick question what is different from 9.04 and 9.10. Like what did they add or take away, and also is it better than 9.04?

Work PC(converting to Ubuntu soon) 2.8 GHz Celeron, 756mb ram, 160GB HDD, Intel Intergraded GPU
Tofu007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:05 AM   #2
BSOD

Send a message via MSN to gumbuc.com
Default Re: Ubuntu 9.10?

hey i dopwnlaoded 9.10 lasrt night im not to sure but there are a few more graphics programs and also i must say if your booting iso from cd it is a tiny bit slower but if you install it im sure it will be faster

Also Ubuntu 9.10 comes with Boot Performance btw il reasarch some more for you...

also aparently it has a diffrent walpapper i swear it didnt when i used it but the boot screen if diffrent

gumbuc.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:06 AM   #3
Solid State Member

http://www.workswithu.com/2009/08/20...in-ubuntu-910/

There's a basic overview of the new stuff. Didn't look very hard though, so you could probably find a more comprehensive list in about 30 seconds with Google.

The big things for me are that it boots quite a bit faster on my aging laptop, and it works much better with Intel GMA integrated gpu's than Jaunty did. I think the minimum RAM requirement went up a bit, but I'm running it on a Pentium 4 laptop with 216megs and it works ok.

Personally I'm waiting for this OpenSUSE thing I've been hearing about to finish its closed beta. Its like a custom distribution builder, similar to Slax except you don't have to be a genius or a lifelong Linux user to figure it out.
sp0oK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:38 PM   #4
BSOD

Send a message via MSN to gumbuc.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp0oK View Post
http://www.workswithu.com/2009/08/20...in-ubuntu-910/

There's a basic overview of the new stuff. Didn't look very hard though, so you could probably find a more comprehensive list in about 30 seconds with Google.

The big things for me are that it boots quite a bit faster on my aging laptop, and it works much better with Intel GMA integrated gpu's than Jaunty did. I think the minimum RAM requirement went up a bit, but I'm running it on a Pentium 4 laptop with 216megs and it works ok.

Personally I'm waiting for this OpenSUSE thing I've been hearing about to finish its closed beta. Its like a custom distribution builder, similar to Slax except you don't have to be a genius or a lifelong Linux user to figure it out.
ok i just reccomnd u dnt play games on it lol because nt many run on linux
gumbuc.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:09 PM   #5
Baseband Member

thanks guys. well 9.04 is working for me so I think ima stick with it, thanks for all your time and help

Work PC(converting to Ubuntu soon) 2.8 GHz Celeron, 756mb ram, 160GB HDD, Intel Intergraded GPU
Tofu007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:14 PM   #6
Site Team

I upgraded to 9.10 the other week and haven't had any problems. Nothing hugely different that I've noticed either though - mainly some core upgrades to various components / the package manager and some more polished looking graphics all round.

I upgraded just on principle and because I know how to sort most problems out if they did arise (and I'm not running anything hugely alien that'd be likely to break with an upgrade.) Whether you choose to or not is entirely up to you - but those two above factors are what I'd take into consideration most.
berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:06 PM   #7
Solid State Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu007 View Post
thanks guys. well 9.04 is working for me so I think ima stick with it, thanks for all your time and help
Really? You should at least try it, especially since I see in your signature one of your computers has intel integrated graphics. That chip runs much smoother under 9.10.

sp0oK is offline   Reply With Quote