Ubuntu

MetalOverlord76

Daemon Poster
I'm thinking of using Ubuntu 9.10 because Windows seems to hate me. I have 789GB of free Hard Drive space. Would I be able to duel-boot Windows with Ubuntu on my HP? I've never done this sort of thing before so I'm a bit nervous. If I am able to duel-boot, how exactly will I be able to switch between the two operating systems? Thanks.

Install the Grub or LILO bootloader when you install ubuntu. Since you already have an OS, it should automatically configure it, but you will have to watch while repartitioning your hard drive, so you shrink the windows partition, not erase it.

I'll offer you some advice though. Ubuntu 9.10 is a cluster f%&#, so you should probably use debian 5. You only need to download CD 1, the rest is just extra stuff that you can install if you want, but unless you want a ton of software, it is faster to use synaptics package manager (if you're a n00b) or apt-get to install what you need.

It will do it automatically at the very end of the installation. A menu comes up asking if you want to install GRUB to the MBR. Tell it OK, and it will work. Alternatively, you can pull up the install menu and install LILO.

whoa...TS, 'dual' is the word you're looking for. "duel" means this:
duel.jpg

And yes, you have plenty of space for it. Ubuntu, like most Linux distributions, has very, very low system requirements. It'll run on almost anything.

I manage to start up Ubuntu, and I am prompted to select my language, time zone, etc.

So during the process, a window appears asking how much hard drive space I want to give Ubuntu. I leave it at as is (most space for Windows, a good amout but not as much for Ubintu.) I click next and it attempts to fully install. I get some kind of error message, and when I click OK, the instillation window closes itself. I can use the Ubintu desktop, but I can't really connect online or anything. When I restart my computer, I find that I still only have windows on my computer. So I try the whole thing over again, only instead of choosing how much space I want to leave for Ubuntu, I am prompted to wipe clean my hard drive and replace Windows with Ubuntu entirely. Of course I didn't do it, but now I'm a bit frustrated. I tried it over a third time, and I still don't have the option of deciding how much space I want to give Ubuntu. It just asks me to replace Windows entirely.

Probably a bad disk.

Burn another disk, and use the slowest speed available. Make sure to use the "check for defects" or whatever the thing is before you attempt to install.

Back
Top Bottom