Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-05-2011, 05:50 PM   #1
Fully Optimized

Default UAC - what do you make of it?

i always thought, that UAC was unanimously disliked among most users, since it asks you to authorize everything and after a while it just gets tedious and turned off.

ive recently found some people who like UAC as a feature, which ive never come across before, and i wonder if im just being critical of Windows 7 since i had such a dislike for Vista.

what do you make of it?

Old 01-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: UAC - what do you make of it?

It's usually one of the first things I turn off when installing a new system. I don't know anyone who actually likes it.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:02 PM   #3
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboucher View Post
It's usually one of the first things I turn off when installing a new system. I don't know anyone who actually likes it.
Thats my motto right there with UAC
Its garbage
Jacob.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #4
JCB
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboucher View Post
same here
Old 01-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

just because its there doesn't mean it's any good. UAC is too general. most people install some other form of computer protection that's more specific to their needs anyway. So it gets turned off.
detox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:47 PM   #6
In Runtime

UAC dumb.
Equinox1354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:42 AM   #7
Fully Optimized

I hate UAC, it's really annoying! I turn it off on every system.
StratosP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:50 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

UAC should not be turned off by computer users. It does actually protect a system against unauthorized access in some cases, and it really makes a user think about what changes they're making to the system.

Windows 7's version of UAC is far superior to Windows Vista's version, requiring prompts for less things that don't need it, or requiring it for things that could potentially damage the system even more.

UAC makes even more sense when you use your Windows PC the way it is meant to be used. That is, your primary account should NEVER be an Administrator account. You should set up your personal PC accordingly:

Your Account: User Account
Administrator's Account: Not the built in Admin account, but an account with Admin rights

The reason for this is when you go to use the system, for 90% of most tasks, you'll never need admin rights. When you do however, it prompts you for the username and password for the administrator account on your PC. This is just like using root on a linux system, since most user accounts aren't actually root.

This is also how a Windows domain (when properly set up) runs things. Users cannot change things on the machine unless they have the local admin account access, or the domain account access.

Those of you still using your PCs otherwise, thanks for the viruses and malware. Some people just never learn.
Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:38 PM   #9
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by og View Post
UAC should not be turned off by computer users. It does actually protect a system against unauthorized access in some cases, and it really makes a user think about what changes they're making to the system.

Windows 7's version of UAC is far superior to Windows Vista's version, requiring prompts for less things that don't need it, or requiring it for things that could potentially damage the system even more.

UAC makes even more sense when you use your Windows PC the way it is meant to be used. That is, your primary account should NEVER be an Administrator account. You should set up your personal PC accordingly:

Your Account: User Account
Administrator's Account: Not the built in Admin account, but an account with Admin rights

The reason for this is when you go to use the system, for 90% of most tasks, you'll never need admin rights. When you do however, it prompts you for the username and password for the administrator account on your PC. This is just like using root on a linux system, since most user accounts aren't actually root.

This is also how a Windows domain (when properly set up) runs things. Users cannot change things on the machine unless they have the local admin account access, or the domain account access.

Those of you still using your PCs otherwise, thanks for the viruses and malware. Some people just never learn.
I'm so confused. Why would I do that to myself? I think I'm perfectly capable of handling admin permissions, thanks. Why in the world would I put 5 extra steps into installing some programs and editing registry entries and what not? What purpose does that serve? Domains are set up like that so the average worker, who knows very little about how windows and the network's layout works, can't tamper with things they don't need to. In my eyes it's just a babysitting measure. Why do I need to babysit myself?