Two accounts?

Kirigato

Solid State Member
Hi!
I work / study mostly on my computer, so I'm getting distracted durning work so easy. You know, Facebook, Steam, Communicators etc. etc.

I'd like to separate work/study and fun on PC. I think about 2 accounts, one for fun, with games, radio, facebook etc. and second one, for job only, without disturbing programs and staff.

Im curious, if there is an easier way to achieve it. Maybe any program? Or just 2 accounts are the best idea?

(Sorry for my English, correct my mistakes if you want, I would be grateful :))

This could work. I think the issue you'd have is programs you already have installed would be reachable under both accounts. After this, when installing programs you'd want to make sure you select the "only install for this user" option assuming it was available.

Cant I maybe separate folders? For instance, umm:
I have an additional SSD 256gb. I'd like to separate folders "games" and "programs" only for one account, and have a folder "job", usable only in the second account?

Anyway, it's not a big deal. I can focus on my job, the point is that, I'd like to have the second account without autostarts like steam, facebook messenger etc. It's like "oh, I'll just answer for that message, its just 30s, so its no problem" etc. The second account will be "clear" from stuff that can interrupt me :)

Last edited:
You can easily create permissions on folders so other users can't access them.
Right click on a folder and choose properties. Then hit the fan called security. In there you can edit permissions for different users. So you can make the user "work" unable to access some folders related to "fun". So doing that on the main Steam folder should make Steam unable to function.

Only problem here is that you can re-enable access if your "work" user are an admin user. So you will have to make "work" a non admin user.... but than again if you try as a non admin user to change these permissions, you will be prompted with a message that asks for the "fun" users password, which you already know. So you can still gain access to the folder if you want.
At least it will not be as fast to gain access to steam, but it's not a good solution. Better use the method Celegorm suggested in stead of locking folders.
Or you could just learn to priorities work over fun.

Last edited:
I think that's ok. I don't have such a big problem with separating fun and work that I'll change permissions etc. :)
I need just to eliminate all programs calling "look here, message" "maybe break for one round and back to work?" etc. :)

Next one question. Can I create autologin for one account? I mean, when I turn on PC, I'd like to automatically login on "work", just to save time and avoid choosing user, so that this will work like "only one account", without choosing during start, but I will be able to change user.

open up CMD. Type in "control userpasswords2". A new window will appear.
You will see a checkbox with the texts "users must enter a username and password.....". Uncheck that and choose your work user in the selection area below and hit apply. Now you will be prompted with a new window asking for the users password. Type it in and you are done.

Now your computer will automatically enter the work user on startup.

Back
Top Bottom