Trying Ubuntu

FlightSimBoy

Fully Optimized
So, awhile ago I got a 500 GB hard drive and decided to use it for storage of games, music, movies etc.. and I was thinking why not take about 60 GB of that and make another partition for Ubuntu. I have used Ubuntu before and I liked it, I just never had time to mess with it, or the space for that matter (I was only able to allocate 12 GB on my old hard drive when I messed with it before).

Downloading the latest 64-bit version now. I'll post back soon how it goes, hopefully from Ubuntu itself :D

Ubuntu has turned out to be the biggest pain in the ass to install ever. I don't remember it being this hard.

I'm sorry that it was so hard to install. It shouldn't have been that bad, although I haven't used the new 9.04 yet either.

I think the last one I tried was 8.04 or something like that. Easy install. One click, boom, Ubuntu was installed and really easy to use.

This installer, not so much....

But I got it installed and now I can't do s*it with it. It seems there are no 64 bit Ubuntu drivers for anything. I tried getting GPU drivers first. Epic fail. I tried running the installer for the drivers through the terminal with the sudo command, again, nothing. The installer is both x86 and x64. Wonderful... And the proprietary driver that comes packaged with Ubuntu does not work for me.

Well, first trick I've found is that you need to have a CD-Rom to install from, since it doesn't tend to like DVD Roms and burners and such. The second trick is if it's acting up on you, download it from another mirror. Frankly, I can't speak much for the new installer, since I just did a flat upgrade from 8.10 to 9.04. One thing that was irritating is that it took longer to download the upgrade files than it would have to install a fresh copy from an ISO.

One issue I did have was with my graphics driver. It worked fine, but the ATI/AMD chipset had a proprietary driver available, which I installed, and it proceeded to screw my graphics in certain programs. Luckily, once I removed the driver, it was back to normal. MORAL OF THE STORY: you might be better off using the Ubuntu drivers rather than the manufacturers' drivers.

I did use a CD. My idea was behind that was why use approx 1/5th of a DVD when I had CD's and would use 100 percent of it :p.

It isn't acting up on me, per se, the only problem I have is the GPU drivers. I really have no idea what to look for. I tried the ones listed for Ubuntu on the ATI site with no luck... I think I made a mistake in installing the 64 bit version of Ubuntu, but I wanted to use my entire 4 GB of RAM for this project.

I like Ubuntu though. Linux has always been an interest to me, and Ubuntu seemed like the easiest one to learn. I'm going to start with the GUI aspect of it, and then work my way up to using the terminal. :D

What is your video card? I can try and fidn the drivers for you or the command to get them.

I just now got the drivers to work! I had to use the terminal to create the package files for Ubuntu. I have an ATi Radeon HD3870 btw, but I think I have what I need. Now it's time to mess with other things :D

Time for sound card drivers. Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeGamer.

Your sound card is going to be interesting. I know that a couple of years back and even last year there wasn't a lot of support for that card. I haven't keep up with it but there might be some new drivers for Creative for it. I will be interested to see.

no surround support stil for creative audigy 2!!! I also cannot use my inputs! this is useless for me since I dj. I also cannot find an app to use the 3d sound from it. I switched to vista64 for my nites and it works. creative at fault or the "community" for not releasing better drivers? I also cannot get any tv tuner card for my xbox to play over my older pc to use as "tv"..... this with latest ubuntu and ubuntu LTS!

Back
Top Bottom