trying out linux... have questions

Thats the problem...
I really don't thik I want to have a windows Web server! well I do cause I like ASP.NET, but I also like PHP, IIS supports both,
yet at the same time I feel like having an IIS server on the internet is like dropping your trousers in a gay bar.

Lol! Certainly an interesting analogy!

But is it really? I will be using a Windows Server for my site at the end of the month. And - in the last 2 months of my site being hosted on an Apache Red Hat Server it has been down twice for probably more than a week if you add the two. One was a DOS attack!

I can't see from that that a Windows Server would be any less safe. Its not like you're hosting Bank Details? Or are you...

Lol; I probably have to agree with you there. But it was the OS that was attacked; not the host? :D The entire thing was down; not just dreadful downtime.

Eitherway - so Windows 2000 Servers! :D

You cant blame the OS for a DOS attack, it can and will bring any host down regardless of the platform.

It's not really a case of holding sensative niformation so much as the computer acts as an internet gateway for the rest of the computers in the house, and the internet is critical to my fathers business.
Plus I've used the server as a file and print server, for the convienience of everybody using shared printers etc... If it goes down then everybody is pissed off/affected for a short time.

Plus, Considering what happened earlier this month (or late last month) where russian hackers used an exploit in IIS to hack servers and upload warez/change pages, and an exploit in IE to infect people, I don't want to sudenly find i'm responsible for hosting something or another that I knew nothing about.

I knew about chillisoft and used it at work, but it is rather expensive to buy.

I think for the price of the chillisoft license it was only about another £50 for he windows server license that wuld ave had all the suport built in anyway.

Back
Top Bottom