Transferring windows to external harddrive

timmytom96

Beta member
Can someone help l, I would like to completely clone my laptops harddrive and put it on an external harddrive with 320gb of space, I am running windows 7 and I would like to put that on the external harddrive with all my files. Then I would like to wipe my laptop and put Ubuntu on it as the only os, then if possible I would like to be able to switch between the two os's either in a boot menu or something like it. If that is extremely complicated or impossible I would like to try a second option where I use he external harddrive as extra space and partition the two of them so windows is on my laptop and ubuntu is on the external hdd and I can switch between them in the boot menu.

if you want to clone a harddrive there are software for that.
like acronis. get the free trail version or get the full version somewhere else.

if i where you i will install both OS'es on the laptop and use the external HDD as backup.
you need to split the hdd into 2 partitions and install ubuntu on the new one.
you can split the HDD with HirensBoot. i have never tryed it before, so check out a step by step guide on "dual booting linux" to be sure that you are doing it right.

Thanks for the advice echonatek, does anyone know if there is a way to have the portable hdd plugged in the computer and partition the two of them as if they are one a link to a tutorial would be great, thanks

i dont know if you can do that if you are not using raid.
if you want raid you need 2 sata or ide harddrives and a computer with raid support.

if it is possible to merge 2 harddrives with different transfer standards i don't think it would be a good idea. it might cause problems, and the one half will be faster then the other.
use the external HDD as a data drive.

timmytom96,
First, test Ubuntu. Many users who want to test out Ubuntu will partition their drive, install Ubuntu or even make the giant leap to have it as the only OS, only to return to Windows. Download VMWare Player and install Ubuntu in there. This creates a virtual machine and you get the experience of using Ubuntu. If you then wish to continue with installing locally, continue reading.
Your best option is to partition your laptop harddrive using the Windows 7 Disk Management 'snap-in'. You'll essentially shrink your current partition enough to allow an additional partition of 20+ GB's. Then, throw in the Ubuntu CD and reboot, install Ubuntu on the newly created 20GB partition. This will put GRUB (Boot Menu) on the drive for you, allowing you to select which OS you wish to boot into.
When dual booting Windows and Linux, install Windows first. When you install Windows 7 alongside a non-microsoft OS, it won't install the Bootloader, making it impossible to boot into the other OS without a [relatively] ridiculous configuration process.
With the currently available consumer software, I doubt that you can RAID two drastically different drives (SATA/USB).

Back
Top Bottom