Transferring programmes from old laptop to new one

bosielowe

Beta member
Hello members,

May daughter has a new lap top and her old one has microsoft office home and student on it that I installed ( part of a 3 USER disc) Is there a way of tranferring it to the new lap top or do I have to buy a new disc. Obviously this is alot of money and so if there is a way of avoding it then I will. Any advice greatly appreciated, Thanks for reading

Assuming you still have the disk and product key, all you need to do is uninstall office form the old computer and install it on the new one. Otherwise there is no way to just copy the files and activation over.

You cannot "transfer" software/programs from one computer to another like you can with regular data. When you install a program it just registry edits and place files that it needs in various locations. You will have to either find the disc for the program or download it from the manufacturers website and reinstall it.

For more: Transferring data on a new PC | Techyv.com

You have another option that doesn't cost anything. OpenOffice. It's basically an open source office suite similar to Microsoft Office. OpenOffice can open, edit and create all file types associated with Microsoft Office (like .doc, .xls, .ppt, etc..) and other popular office type programs. It's free, so you can check it out and see if you like it without risking any money.

You have another option that doesn't cost anything. OpenOffice. It's basically an open source office suite similar to Microsoft Office. OpenOffice can open, edit and create all file types associated with Microsoft Office (like .doc, .xls, .ppt, etc..) and other popular office type programs. It's free, so you can check it out and see if you like it without risking any money.

Because OpenOffice is on it's way out I would recommend LibreOffice. It's the same thing but many OpenOffice programmers/developers now work on LibreOffice instead.

Reactions: J03
Back
Top Bottom