Originally Posted by DJ-CHRIS
I hate the TCPIP stack and the requirement to have signed kernel drivers in the 64 bit version.
I for one am glad about the signed drivers requirement. Less blue screens of death, and a hell of a lot more stable.
I wrote a post on vista over a year ago, here it's here
I think it's a great OS and have said so from the start. When it 1st came out, everyone, including a lot on this forum, tumpeted how much better XP was over Vista, and how much of a failure Vista was going to be. What short memories they must have, Sasser, Lsasser (or whatever is was) and the blaster worm. Loads of BSOD for no obvious reasoning. A useless Firewall when using Dialup (yeah, I still used that back in '01, lol). As well as no USB support until you updated to SP1a (even though you could force it to use Win2K drivers) gave me such a hard hard hard time when XP 1st came out. And as for Vista having networking problems! bla, there was a point in time where you had to install all the the ancient IPX/Netbios(bla bla bla) protocols for smooth networking with XP until MS decided to bring out a proper patch. Can't anyone remember the problems getting XP machines to talk to each other properly when it was 1st out? XP wasn't a great OS till after SP2. Period. And as for Vista being a resource hog! hello, They were selling XP on machines with only 128MB RAM when it 1st came out, what do you think that was like? The same was said for XP, and 2K, and 98 (I'm excluding ME here, because that was a piece of junk!), and the same will be said about Windows 7. All they need is a bit of maturing. Vista's now getting there.
I've plenty of memories about how bug ridden and open to attack XP was during it's 1st few years. Reinstall aplenty. I've not witnessed the same type of welcoming to the world with Vista. So much the better.
Anyway, the stats say it themselves. Vista has had almost half the amount of serious problems as XP during it's 1st 12months of being on the market.
And the built in security features are a huge bonus and great for building machines for the less technical minded who'd otherwise have benifited more from a Mac. And if your a techie (like most of us here - probably about 5% of all computer users) you can turn off the annoying features, (that would otherwise be absolutely necessary for the remaining 95% of computer users).
I've only reinstalled Vista once in the last year, and that was because I was experimenting with Mac OS and I had to wipe the HDD after converting it from a MBR partitioning type to GUID.
Don't get me wrong, Vista has had it's problems, like slow file transfers etc etc, but once you slip SP1 into the works, it's like a brand new OS. A bit like XP after its 2n
d SP. It can only get better with the countinous updates.
Thats my 2P!