teaching an old pc new tricks

radome

Baseband Member
I own an old Dell Inspiron that came with vista. it has 1 gb of ram and im not sure what the processor speed is. everything works great on the machine. would it be candidate for windows 7? Or should I buy a new laptop?

Generally speaking, if a computer will run Vista, it will run Win 7 since 7 is less of a resource hog.

Does Dell have Win 7 drivers for that laptop on it's website? Shouldn't be a big deal if not since Vista & Win 7 drivers are often interchangeable.

1GB is the bare minimum for 7 so it could be a little choppy. without knowing the rest of your system specs I'd send you here:

Windows 7 system requirements - Windows Help

Also, you'd want to make sure your system has windows 7 drivers available for download from the manufacturer. While generally vista drivers have worked for windows 7 there is no guarantee of this.

the computer is on my desk at work. tomorrow i will get the rest of the specs so you guys can give me better advice. the reason i hesitate to sell it or buy a new one is that it was a pretty high-end model when i bought it. i also know that programs and apps are getting bigger. as usual, you guys are awesome. i am hoping to get more opinions after i enter the total system specs.

thanks,

radome

Even though 1 gig RAM is not really enough for a good experience, it will still run windows 7 better than windows Vista.

I ran Win 7 Pro on a netbook with 1.5GB of RAM for several years and it worked fairly well. It could multitask a few programs and did fine for typical computing tasks like web surfing, email, word processing, etc... Couldn't handle gaming and other cpu/gpu intensive tasks.

Back
Top Bottom