Swapping Hard Drives

Rain1

Baseband Member
Hello Everyone,

My son and I tried to switch computers...so I started by taking out his ssd with Windows 10 Home, and putting into my machine but it won't boot up? As soon as I hook my ssd back up it boots just fine? I'm stumped.

My computer guy tells me with Windows 10 Home (which is what we both have installed on our drives) you can normally do this without issue about 75% of the time. I guess we're falling into the 25%? :mad: Is there any way can get around whatever issues there are and do this? Thanks.

Jeff

Are you booting from the right drive? When your computer boots select "boot options" or something similar (usually F12 or something) and select the drive from which you want to boot.

Note: when swapping computers a reinstall is recommended.

Well I assume I am. We both have basically the same drives: 1TB Samsung ssd's 850 and 860 EVO's. Both running Windows 10 Home, and both boot just fine in their respective machines. But when I unhook my drive and plug the other one in I get...see attached.

There are no other drives in my box and I used the exact same power and sata cables. In addition, I checked bios to ensure the hard disk is 1st boot device...which I think is a mute point since there are no other drives to boot from. I'm stumped!

Jeff
PS. Tried to attach a screenshot but don't think it uploaded

Maybe this will work. Think my initial file was too large...

Attachments

• Boot Failure.jpg
    Boot Failure.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 10
Hi!

It could be a chipset driver issue. The drivers could cause a conflict to prevent a boot storage device from getting into Windows. If you have a Windows disk of the same build, try repairing Windows with it. I personally have a similar problem when I migrate Windows to another storage and replace it with the older one. This is provided you are 1000% certain the SSD is recognized in the BIOS and you chose to save progress when leaving the BIOS.

I humbly disagree with your tech. I'd say it's the other way around; i.e. 25% to 75%, if "it works" means Windows can run well.

I think after backing up files, I'm just going reformat and start from scratch with fresh copies of windows! These drives both booted up just fine in their respective boxes.

My buddy told me he got the exact same screen when he tried to pull a Windows drive out of one box and put it in another. He said he read an article a few years back that claimed there's a small piece of software that gets installed somewhere when you install Windows...some relationship/communication is established between the OS and the hard drive. so when you attempt to put that drive into another box it may not boot up. Supposedly there's a resource on the Windows install disk that can correct this issue. He said he reformatted and reinstalled Windows instead and all was well.

Back
Top Bottom