Storage Advice

loudog800

Solid State Member
OK, I need some advice. I have been looking at buying a new computer. However, the main reason I want to buy a new computer is because I am running out of storage space. I currently have a pentium2 400mhz running win98 with 20GB storage. This computer just keeps going (bought in 97), and I hate to buy a new one mainly for hard drive space.

I have 12 GB of music and would like to add more except I have no room. I am also scared of losing the mp3's...most are backed.

So, I have been thinking of getting an external drive, but I only have a USB 1.0 (I think). Most require USB 2.0 and windows 98SE.

What should I do here...upgrade to 98SE, get a USB2.0 and an external hard drive to store music and pics and run this computer until death...or should I buy new????

Are there USB 2.0 and external hard drives that will work with Windows 98?

Thanks for the help.

BS

Buy a new computer. You can get a computer 3 times as good as that one for like only 600 or 500

But, wouldn't it be good to have the external hard drive anyway? For fail safe storage of music and pictures?

Okay, well no offence, but windows 98? Comon. You know you need to upgrade when you're using that. Get linux, or XP. 98 is just too buggy and too outdated.

I am leaning towards getting an ext. hard drive. This way I can run this computer until death and not worry about losing my music and pictures. At the same time I can add more music to the ext. hard drive.

Will windows 98 recognize an ext. hard drive? Or will I have to upgrade to SE (I have access to this)?

Secondly, I don't know how to tell if my current USB ports are 1.0 or what? Can you tell me how to determine this? If 1.0, it is fairly simple to upgrade to a 2.0 or firewire correct??

Thanks.

I want to ask a few questions:

Are you happy with your computer as it is? (Is there any problems such as being too slow, not fast enough, or too many errors?)

If you have problems with the old computer then my advise is to get a new computer. For most USB devises now-a-days you need to have 98SE, but you'd have to look at each external hard drive cos I know some can work with both USB 1.0 and 2.0

yah, i would'nt go w/just win.98....callarse1 is right you want at the very least win98 SE....

Back
Top Bottom