stop c00021a unknown hard error

kim34po

Beta member
Hi. I was given a laptop, because it was getting a strange error (stop c00021a unknown hard error). He has a Dell Inspiron 9300, running some version of XP, and that's all that I know.

When you turn on his computer, you see the Dell startup-screen for a second, and then it automatically brings you to the prompt that says "stop c00021a unknown hard error" window. There are obviously 5 options: Safe Mode, SM with Networking, SM with Command Prompt, Last Known Good Configuration, and Start Windows Normally. Each one of those brings me to the blue screen that says:

STOP: c000021 Unknown Hard Error
\SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll

I searched on other forums, and it seems that this is what people have done to fix this: either try to Repair Windows, reinstall Windows, manually replace ntdll.dll (if they can actually get into Windows, which I can't), or do something with their memory cards, I'm not sure what.

So here's my question: first of all, are those approaches I listed correct? And 2nd, I don't want to have to mess with my friend's memory if I don't have to...I'm not too much of a tech person. I do, however, have my family's Windows XP Home Edition install CD with me....if I put that into his computer, and try to repair Windows, would that work?

Thanks for the help...if you need any clarification, I'll be glad to give it.

Back
Top Bottom