Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-22-2013, 03:38 AM   #1
Golden Master
 
BK_123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,529
Default SteamOS

So you may have heard that Steam is releasing there own OS. You can download a beta of the OS here from Steam SteamOS. It is pretty demanding on hardware..
__________________

BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
xxcobraxx
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: England
Posts: 6,224
Default Re: SteamOS

lol demanding alright, HDD space is crazy, I want to see the min gpu lol
__________________

IAntDemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
The Candyman
 
~mr mixx~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 11,310
Default Re: SteamOS

That is crazy requiring 500 gigs or more of hhd space. I guess it's not bad if you already have a 1tb drive.

How come they don't offer a ISO that you can burn to, and install from that. Not everyone can boot from usb. My lappy won't boot from usb I don't know why, Ive tried.
__________________
" Let the music move you "
~mr mixx~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
xxcobraxx
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: England
Posts: 6,224
Default Re: SteamOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~mr mixx~ View Post
That is crazy requiring 500 gigs or more of hhd space. I guess it's not bad if you already have a 1tb drive.

How come they don't offer a ISO that you can burn to, and install from that. Not everyone can boot from usb. My lappy won't boot from usb I don't know why, Ive tried.
Personally I don't own a system with over 160gb, I'm such a bargain bucket, my system has 75gb rofl, and my laptop is just a joke, someone took the 250/300gb HDD out before I bought it and shoved a 60gb in and took the 1gb memory to, left me with 1gb lol, cheeky, either way I got them down to 120 for a decent laptop.

I think it's still a big beta, I'm sure they will shrink it and soon enough you'll have it on a usb stick.

I to had a laptop that wouldn't boot from USB, took me about 5 different flash sticks and a few different software to burn to usb, I'm sure you'll be able to do it if you really want to, just a pain in the butt.
IAntDemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
Omnicide now.
 
foothead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: My own personal hell
Posts: 10,014
Default Re: SteamOS

Give this one time to mature. I've been using steam on linux for a while, and it's beyond terrible. Bugs everywhere, half the games don't even launch, etc. Valve seems to ignore bug reports entirely, so I wouldn't expect it to be usable for quite a while.
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
In Runtime
 
particleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: usa
Posts: 183
Default Re: SteamOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothead View Post
Give this one time to mature. I've been using steam on linux for a while, and it's beyond terrible. Bugs everywhere, half the games don't even launch, etc. Valve seems to ignore bug reports entirely, so I wouldn't expect it to be usable for quite a while.
What distro are you using?
particleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:10 PM   #7
The Candyman
 
~mr mixx~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 11,310
Default Re: SteamOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAntDemo View Post
Personally I don't own a system with over 160gb, I'm such a bargain bucket, my system has 75gb rofl, and my laptop is just a joke, someone took the 250/300gb HDD out before I bought it and shoved a 60gb in and took the 1gb memory to, left me with 1gb lol, cheeky, either way I got them down to 120 for a decent laptop.

I think it's still a big beta, I'm sure they will shrink it and soon enough you'll have it on a usb stick.

I to had a laptop that wouldn't boot from USB, took me about 5 different flash sticks and a few different software to burn to usb, I'm sure you'll be able to do it if you really want to, just a pain in the butt.
I think that's just low for that person to take out the hhd and put in a 60gig
one.

I bought my laptop from my local pawn shop and i really got a good deal on it. It's not that big a deal to not have my usb work at boot. I don't intend to install anything from it anyways.
__________________
" Let the music move you "
~mr mixx~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:02 AM   #8
Golden Master
 
BK_123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,529
Default Re: SteamOS

8 Things the Alpha Release Tells Us About SteamOS’s Linux System
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #9
Site Team
 
celegorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,713
Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: SteamOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothead View Post
Give this one time to mature.
This. Odds are it'll all change. With SSDs being popular with gamers and many being smaller than 500 gigs this is in no way final, not if they want it to take off.
__________________
"as a fanboy i refuse to admit it and will pull countless things out of my butt to disprove it"

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #10
Omnicide now.
 
foothead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: My own personal hell
Posts: 10,014
Default Re: SteamOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by particleman View Post
What distro are you using?
Debian 7.1. Steam has a lot of hardware-dependent bugs that valve just doesn't seem to care about. For example, left 4 dead 2 doesn't even launch on hd 4000 and under. There's been a bug report about it since it released, complete with tons of people having the same thing, but it hasn't been addressed at all. It reminds me a lot of when steam was fairly new on windows. Bugs everywhere, but unless they affect absolutely everybody, valve just ignored them for years.
__________________

foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0