SSD / Windows 8 to SSD / Windows 7

Verbatim47

In Runtime
I currently have a Kingston HyperX 120GB SSD and a SanDisk 256GB SSD in my system now.

Kingston - Windows
Sandisk - DATA / Programs

I have had an issue with my Kingston that I hope can help someone if they are having similar issues.

Scenario: I would have Windows 8.1 installed / updated and running flawlessly. About 2-3 weeks down the road the installation would just stop booting. I would reboot at a random time and get "Automatically repairing your PC" and "Diagnosing your PC" and I would proceed to run EVERY command line boot up command to fix it bootrec.exe / Chkdsk / bootbcd etc. I have tried it all. I could not get the installation back up and running.

I have even tried cloning the drive to another drive after doing the install and having it all ready in case this happens. The clone back to the disk did not work.

I have found out that the Kingston drive has a bad sector where the boot files typically go after an install, this is causing an error and forever breaking the install. I have another Kingston drive that I have installed and replaced with Windows 7 because Windows 7 is much easier to repair I feel and doesn't have the complex menus and issues in the startup repair process that Windows 8 does.

Back to Windows 7 and cloned just in case. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Forums

Back
Top Bottom