Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to arsenalbates
Exclamation SSD cloning system from HDD, Possible splitting Programs from main directory ???

Hi, if i got myself a SSD i would need to clone my current HDD data onto the SSD as i have so many programs that i dont want to have to reinstall.

My current data size of my Windows, programs and user data is just under 700GB. If I was to get a SSD i would somehow need to split the windows files from the program files and user data.

First of all is this even possible as the registry would surly get confused and secondly if so how would it be done.

My program files are about half the total size of the data on my current HDD

arsenalbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: SSD cloning system from HDD, Possible splitting Programs from main directory ???

It's not possible to clone a drive yet split the contents. Your best bet is to do a fresh install. I know it sucks, but alt least with an SSD, it'll be fast.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:28 AM   #3
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to arsenalbates
Exclamation Re: SSD cloning system from HDD, Possible splitting Programs from main directory ???

Thought that may be the case, What do you think is the best SSD to get atm ? Around the 120/128 GB mark ? the M4 ?
arsenalbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

Default Re: SSD cloning system from HDD, Possible splitting Programs from main directory ???

I couldn't tell you from personal experience. For OS and some programs, ~120GB would be good. For me, I was considering one of those cache SSDs.