span mode is gone.

foothead

Omnicide now.
I just got in my second 28 inch monitor, and I think I am finally having one of those ATI driver issues people always talk about. I set everything up, but CCC isnt giving me the option to enable span mode. I've been through as many different versions of catalyst as I could get, but none worked. I tried 8.10, 9.1, 9.3, 9.6, 9.7, 9.10, and 9.12 (9.12 actually caused my system to BSOD on bootup until I restored it) So what do I do here? I know I am doing this right because it worked perfectly on the HTPC with a 4850 x2 (also running xp). I dont want to have to wait months before I can get eyefinity setup (I want a 4gb 5970, or a 5990 lol) Any advice? I'm totally stuck, and this is getting really frustrating.

If I'm understanding you correctly you want to make it duel screen. So that means you installed a second video card?
Make sure that the computer didn't deactivate the integrated graphics card first. My Computer>Properties>Hardware>Device Manager.
I think I understand what your saying.

Actually, I have an x2 graphics card installed already with the internal graphics still enabled for a third monitor for desktop use, but what I am trying to do is make the OS render the two separate 1920x1200 monitors as a single 3840x1200 image which will then be divided between the monitors. It worked with my HTPC with a 4850 x2 which is what is confusing me so much right now. My current theory is that maybe the monitors have to be attached to the same GPU, as they were on the quad-DVI 4850 x2, but the 4870 x2 has one DVI per GPU, soo this makes the span mode impossible? I have googled like crazy but cannot find anything to support this theory or help me at all. If that is true then I could buy a cheap 4670 and throw it in crossfire (x8/x8 wont hurt my performance will it?) and attach both monitors to that, as thats almost the max resolution I could get without true eyefinity (DX9 has a 4096 max width)

Oh I get what you mean and I know someone who did that, but I don't know how they did it. I wish I could help you. I'll try to look in to it for you :)

can you do it with the regular windows display manager rather than using catalyst?

Back
Top Bottom