sound drags and is distorted

electronicwillz

Beta member
Pls I need urgent help..my computer's sound keeps dragging slowly then fast then normal when I play music with windows media player. I've restored the system to a previous time, tried the sound card on a different slot, re-installed the drivers all to no avail. I followed the sound trouble shooter and it didn't solve the issue. But one thing I noticed however is that there's a yellow exclamation mark beside my VGA card in device manager. And when playing music I notice it drags even more if I move the mouse around.
The Specs are: Don't know much bout this tho
Windows XP service pack2 992MB Ram Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz 3.00GHz
And I use an M-Audio Delta 44 sound card...cause I produce music with it
This happens even during the windows start up tune..its even worse then. Pls help me with this...I'd be very very grateful!

ok my advice to you would be to update your VGA card drivers.

Seems odd but by your description your computer is having terrible trouble with performance and it could be that as it doesnt have the right graphics card drivers it's doing something strange to cause it work alot harder than it should.

if your on a web site (ie this one) and you scroll down, is it smooth or does it do it in stages? if the latter you definitely need to update your grpahics card drivers.

Well, my first thought is SP2!?!?. Less than 1 GB of RAM!?!?!

I don't know, just seems like there could be lag in-general on the whole computer trying to accomplish anything using today's technology.

Agreed to get the VGA adapter sorted out for starters. Then maybe check the Task Manager and see how much CPU and Memory you are using during idle and while playing something with sound.

Well, my first thought is SP2!?!?. Less than 1 GB of RAM!?!?!

I don't know, just seems like there could be lag in-general on the whole computer trying to accomplish anything using today's technology.

Agreed to get the VGA adapter sorted out for starters. Then maybe check the Task Manager and see how much CPU and Memory you are using during idle and while playing something with sound.

I know it's not a super computer but lets not forget XPs original min spec to run was:

•Pentium 233-megahertz (MHz) processor or faster (300 MHz is recommended)
•At least 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM (128 MB is recommended)

So a high clocking P4 with a Gb of RAM should be plenty to do the simple tasks here. (although i accept he's not gonna be playing any games and struggling to run anything like Adobes CS5 range etc).

Those were origianl. If he has any updated software on there it's going to bog it down like crazy. Not to mention an antivirus program...

I'm just saying, that could have an impact as well (thus my suggestion to look at task manager and found out for sure how much strain the computer is under).

Thank You so much for the replies!!!! I'm getting the vga drivers from someone tomorrow..hopefully that'll solve the problem.
I'm really really grateful..would let Y'all know the outcome tomorrow..Thank You sooo much.

Back
Top Bottom