Soooo.....

Rubber314Chicken

Golden Master
Help me pick a linux distro.

Because I really don't know too much about it. I used it and I'm really thinking of making the switch (though I'd boot windows for stuff like battlefield 2) but I'm not sure which to use. I really don't care about KDE/Gnome. Though I like the whole Prettyness of KDE, I find Gnome easier to navigate, though I'm sure I could get used to KDE.

I think the only requirements are that it is widely supported, is easy to install programs (as in for most of them I don't have to do funky stuff with terminal), comes in 64 bit, and its simple to figure out. Other than that, I really don't care.

I'm thinking of Ubuntu (mainly because it is THE linux distro) though I'm open to Fedora, SUSE, and Debian (though its an integral (opposite of derivative) of Ubuntu) and other popular ones.

Oh, and I've got a networked drive and printer on a windows XP box. How will that work? My computer is on a wired connection to FYI.

Bamp? Any suggestions?

ubuntu. Easiest distro I have ever used and widely supported. When i used to use it I didn't have to hunt down any drivers. Everything was detected and working right off the bat

ubuntu is definitely the best, you can install KDE onto it and choose what interface you want when you boot it. i've only ever had to hunt down 1 driver for it.

As far as connecting to shares on your XP box, most distros come with samba (the linux version of SMB). I think Ubuntu has a pretty good front end to the samba client that will make it pretty easy to connect to windows shares. PCLinuxOS is pretty good for that as well.

Back
Top Bottom