Something Free?

hardhead1

Baseband Member
I am trying to download a doc file but I get a message that I need to buy a year subscription to Microsoft Office Home. Is there something else I can use for this? Thanks folks.

Po Boy

Assuming it's a .doc or .docx file you can open it up in google docs (drive.google.com)

Thanks for your reply celegorm. Yes it is a .doc file. It was sent to my email. Can google docs be used to open that? I am not the most computer savvy person you ever met. Appreciate the help, I don't have a hundred to throw away just to open this file.

Yeah Google Drive (which has an inbuild office like suit) is a fantastic alternative to Microsoft office.
I just need to get something out of my sistem:
The worst thing about MS office is that you pay a good deal of money (way more then what it's worth in my opinion) and you still need to buy a second language pack if you know multiple languages. Also when you PAY for updates, you don't really get much new. Office 2013 is almost identical to 2010.

So how does google drive work? Can I take a file out of an email and move it to google drive somehow. Or would I be opening my email from google drive? Not sure how to work this. First step I guess would be to sign up with google drive.

you don't have to send it to your email. you can upload it directly to your Drive.
If you have a Google account (a Gmail) then you also have google Drive.
here you go: https://drive.google.com/

just play around with it. you will get a feel for it fast

Google drive is a pretty terrible way to view MS office files. The most compatible program (for just viewing) would be the official Word viewer. (link) If you want a full-featured office suite, try libreoffice. (link) This supports microsoft office files, however the rendering isn't always perfect.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I really don't need the whole MS Office thing. I really just want to open the files. That's why I am looking to bypass the $100. I simply can't justify spending it just for this.

Foothead:
i disagree about it being terrible at viewing office files. to me it shows it just fine. if you want to edit it, you will have to convert it to a google docs format, which is does automatically if you choose to open it in Google docs instead of just the inbuild word viewer like application.

Hardhead:
if the only thing you want to do is to open the file, then word viewer is properly the best option.
it was just if you wanted an alternative to MS bullshit office, then you should use check out Google drive.
Libre office is also good. no doubt about it. i just favor GDrive

I'll try working with what you guys have given me and see what I can do. Thanks for the help It is REALLY appreciated. If I need more help on this I'll get back with you. Thanks again! :)

Back
Top Bottom