someone pleeeeease help!!

becky

Beta member
:(Sorry if this is in the wrong section!

Basically every time I go on the internet after about 5 - 10 mins I get a message saying Win32 Services generic host process has encountered a prob and needs to close.... clicking on the repost it says it contains two files C:/Docume~1\owner\locals\temp\wer10.tmp.dir00\svchost.exe.mdmp and then another file excatly the same apart from after the last backslash it says appcompat.txt.
I do not have a printer or scanner attached or installed.

I have run several spyware/ antivirus things including stinger, ad aware se and microsoft viruscan beta (which i have now removed after reading on another forum that after removing it it cleared up the same problem but doesnt seem to have helped). also i have read in some forums that it is essentail part of the operating systems and others that it is a virus/trojan/hijacker.

i have searched for these files by using the start, search options but cant seem to find the exact file located in the same area, can only find a svchost file in the folder C:/WINDOWS/system32.

Please someone tell me what to do cos its driving me mad and i dont know hardly anything about computers to be able to sort it out my self.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Ok, i have had exacaly the same problem the day i bought mine, and i called the engineer out and he showed me what to do. First of all we installed SP2. and if that dosn't work do a system restore, to the day it didn't come up with the message.

And then check if SP2 is still installed and if it isn't reinstall it.

Hope this helps!

Interesting. I have always turned off System Restore on my Windows XP systems. But I have never had this particular error. I've had the Blaster Virus though (Remote Call Protocol has quit Computer will Reboot in 60s)

Comment from gemarti
Date: 04/08/2004 05:25PM PDT
Comment

It really sounds like the MS Blaster Worm that was making the rounds a while back. Do the following before connecting to the internet:

First thing I suggest you do is the following; while your machine is not connected to the internet:
START | RUN | REGEDIT
Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RUN
remove any reference to MSBLAST
Navigate to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RUN
remove any reference to MSBLAST

Search your HD for MSBLAST* and delete any references found.

NEXT:

Go to this link first to close the backdoor:
Patch : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...46-F541-4C15-8C9F-220354449117&displaylang=en

Go here to download and remove any residuals of msblaster:
Removal tool : http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html

Finally:
Update your Virus Scanning Software.
Also go to www.windowsupdate.com and get the latest service packs for your system

More Information
http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/blast.asp

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.html

Comment from gemarti
Date: 04/08/2004 05:26PM PDT
Comment

Of course I've been known to be wrong. :)

Comment from BURCHIE
Date: 04/10/2004 02:36AM PDT
Author Comment

thanx for your answer but it has not solved the problem unfortunately.
I have had some experience with blaster worm and the rpc timeout virus but i did not feel that this was the problem with this machine as the problem started as soon as i got it home
and the system was used "straight out of the box".
There is no trace of the blasterworm on the harddrive or in the registery.
The error mesage that comes at frequent intervals is this....
szApp name: szAppver 0.0.0.0 szmodname-unknown szmodver0.0.0.0
offset 0.0.0.0
this doesnt seem particulary informative but it may mean something to your good self.
from my viewpoint as an intermediate level amateur i feel there could be a software
problem with one of the pre-installed apps, but of course if i exchanged the system at the shop for the same same make/model then
presumably the same problem will reoccur as the system software/configuration is preinstalled by the manufacturer.
Machine is only 4 days old!
should it really be my responsibilty to sort out the prob?

Comment from gemarti
Date: 04/10/2004 03:47AM PDT
Comment

Generic Host Process Error Message and a Flashlight Icon Appear
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;821690

SYMPTOMS
When you start your computer, you may receive the following error message:

Generic Host Process for WIN32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
If you click Click Here at the bottom of the message box, the following error signature information may appear:

App name App version Module name Module version Offset
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Svchost.exe 5.1.2600.0 Hpgtpusd.dll 1.1.0.56 00008d0d

When you click Start, and then click My Computer, or when you double-click My Computer on your Windows desktop, Windows may search, and a flashlight icon may appear, for a long time (for example, five minutes) before files appear. A list of files and folders may not appear.

The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
11/4/2003

Accepted Answer from gemarti
Date: 04/10/2004 03:48AM PDT
Grade: B
Accepted Answer

I would probably take the machine back to the vendor for a refund.

:(

Comment from BURCHIE
Date: 04/10/2004 06:38AM PDT
Author Comment

ok, thanx for your time.

Comment from gemarti
Date: 04/10/2004 08:24AM PDT
Comment

You could have kept the C and waited for a better answer.

http://www.experts-exchange.com/help.jsp#hs5

Administrative Comment from Netminder
Date: 04/10/2004 01:52PM PDT
Administrative Comment

BURCHIE,

Welcome to Experts Exchange.

Giving a low grade is an ... interesting ... way of saying Thanks. As gemarti pointed out, you didn't have to accept his comment as the answer; you can always wait and see if someone else has another suggestion.

Grade changed.

Netminder
Site Admin

Email Notification: Subscribe

Home All Topics Operating Systems Windows XP Q_20948401.html

Get your IT Solutions GUARANTEED!
More IT professionals have found their answers instantly at Experts Exchange than at any other IT site
Get Instant Answers

Back
Top Bottom