Software to organize and navigate information... Does this exist?

sarahf12

Beta member
I don't know if this software even exists, but I'm looking for a program to help me organize, navigate, and view information.

Is there a program that allows the user to input his/her own information, structuring the look (placing pictures, framed text boxes, etc.), navigate by clicking on live internal "links," and possibly features like inserting pull down menus.

Basically, I want something that looks/works like a website, but is exclusively offline and ideally doesn't require the coding involved in website building (though if necessary, I can do that), and would be transferable to another computer?
The intention is for me to be able to access and navigate this data, not necessarily to present it, but I would like the presentation to be visually pleasing.

I would also like it to be a program that doesn't take up a ton of ram to run. I will probably have upwards of 100 sections of information to organize at about 3-10 pages each.... Just to make it *more* difficult. :)

Because I have something *so* specific in mind, I have no idea where to even start looking, and was hoping someone could give some help.

Thanks.

Sarah

There are two type of solutions to do what you want to do. One is a code editor, and the other is a code bank.

There are several code editors but my favorite is Araneae, offerring the features:

Araneae Features

Syntax highlighting
Support for HTML, XHTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP, Ruby, and more
Instant browser preview, even without saving
Insert customizable quick clips
Tabbed multi-document interface
Drag and drop support for files and images
Downloadable extensions

it's freeware and can be downloaded here; Araneae: Text Editor Software For The Web
Or try one of these, 35 Useful Source Code Editors Reviewed - Smashing Magazine

About a code bank script, there is one by this name Codebank, a hierachical source code snippet database, and you can find further details and download it here, CodeBank - free hierachical source code snippet database program for windows

Back
Top Bottom