So.. How is Windows 10 going?

Finally found my audio problem. It's the audio device and it points to the speakers and I changed it to point at the audio card.

Every time I open it it's pointed at the speakers. I don't know why I can't lock it on the audio card.

Do you use the device "speakers", and does it hurt to always use the device "audio card"?

If respectively no and yes, then right click on the speaker's icon on the task bar (next to the clock and date), choose "playback devices" and disable all sound devices you don't need and only leave your "audio card".

Try it, it won't hurt. You can re-enable what you disabled by a right click then "show disabled devices".

I did notice one problem very quickly though, when I tried to run my Gigabyte driver disk, I got the following message: This version of Xpress install does not support Win 98/ME, Open device failure, so I can't install my driver disk, might have a look on their website maybe.

Did you try changing the compatibility setting for it to something specific above Win98/ME?

Great to see so many people helping each other out and sharing their thoughts.

I have the ISO burned to a CD and have yet to install. It sounds like it's best to do a fresh installation via booting the PC through the disk drive and starting with a clean slate?

It's what we are here for, help each other and seek help. Sharing is caring :)

I found out, and opposite to what the Media Creation Tool says, that running the ISO inside Windows does not ask for a key, and it did give the option to do a fresh install deleting everything. I however did that inside an upgraded Windows 10. Right now I'm doing it on another computer but this time on a not yet upgraded Windows 7. It is about 25% done now and no key was requested. Installing this way, it is still saying upgrading. I'll update with the results once it is done.

A boot fresh install is always better, I believe, but it is just the product key issue that's a source of worrying.

I've had an issue with logging in so I've restored to Windows 7 and will download the upgrade again.

Further to my above post, downloading the ISO once could save you future troubles of re-installing. Just make sure of the edition and version of Windows matching your current Windows; e.g. Win10 Pro x64.

(Duplicate from another thread, but useful here):

Okay, I can confirm this much:
Using an ISO created by the Media Creation Tool to install Windows 10 over Windows 7 of the same edition with either option "keep everything" or "only keep personal files" does not not ask for a key. There is a third option to wipe everything, but I didn't try it. I think the option "only keep personal files" is too good to "delete everything" over it.

This conflicts with the note the Media Creation Tool mentions when you attempt to create the ISO (or the flash disk, but I did not go with this) which is "have a product key ready for it".

I just tried it with a never upgraded Windows 7 Home x64 laptop and it says Windows is activated.

I disabled the speakers and no sounds at all so that didn't work. I'll just have to tick the audio device when I want to watch my DVD movies.

Now what makes the W10 different from the W7 in that respect? :confused:

Yes, in the buggy department. MS should know this to find a solution, but how?

---------- Post added at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

Okay, no Win7 for my stupid HP laptop. I'm recovering Win7 back.

Stupid switchable grafix. Stupid HP for not updating those custom drivers even for relatively modern laptops. Stupid AMD.

I think it's making sure that you want to do this. Click continue and it's done.

But why?
I have never seen it in Win7. And why is the folder in the recycle bin to begin with If Windows is asking if i am sure to delete it?
Am i the only one here who are just a little annoyed about how the permissions are handled in win8 and win10?

Last edited:

---------- Post added at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

Stupid switchable grafix. Stupid HP for not updating those custom drivers even for relatively modern laptops. Stupid AMD.

Ah so you of got issues with switchable graphics too. I upgraded my HP laptop the first time And it worked fine with a new driver from Windows update.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Forums

Try downloading and installing the latest drivers from Leshcat http://leshcatlabs.net/. They should work for switchable graphics.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Forums

Ah so you of got issues with switchable graphics too. I upgraded my HP laptop the first time And it worked fine with a new driver from Windows update.

Try downloading and installing the latest drivers from Leshcat leshcatlabs.net - Keeping it Simple. Ads free.. They should work for switchable graphics.

Thank you for the heads up.

The thing is, it worked fine at first but then the system started to act up and give long booting/shutting down times.

I'm thinking of doing a fresh install this time. Oh boy, gotta setup Office again. Only if the fresh install works, that is.

One thing that is really annoying me is that I would like to use my Microsoft account to sign-in into Windows but every time I select the option a new grey window opens then closes.

QQayWT0.png

ptG3bTT.png

Everything seems to be working. Haven't tried out the new apps for movies and music. I just put a fresh install of Google Chrome on, and I'm still getting the dam" Resolving Host" message. I used CCleaner to clean up before I re-installed Chrome. Somehow it must be connected to my emails, because those used to have Ukrainian addresses. I've updated all my info on my accounts. Guess we are just stuck with it.Best of luck to everyone.

Back
Top Bottom