Should I upgrade? Win8

Well, I am familiar with how operating systems work. I've written a couple chunks of code for two OSs. The basic job of an OS is to dispatch tasks created by applications and itself. It relies on hardware, but doesn't directly interact with it, e.g. the OS must recognize the hardware interrupt to set time and timers but is told what time it is by the CPU, hardware fault detection, and I/O interrupts indicating an I/O has completed. The closest an OS gets to the hardware is at the disk/SSD I/O level, but even there it is simply supplying the addresses for track(s)/segment(s) fetched by the task. The OS does not even get close to hardware when graphics cards, sound cards, etc are concerned. That job is done by the maker's provided drivers and they are the ones that get closest to hardware. There is a whole level of granularity between what is burned into the silicon and CPU firmware and the OS's interaction with the thrown interrupts.

IRQ's are a very small part of how an OS works and interacts with the hardware. There's much much more involved than "when they get their turn to talk."

Cc767152.xng_a01_big(l=en-us).gif

This is an overview of the first NT release of Windows and how the OS itself is constructed to create many layers between what you see and the computer itself. Benchmark software is designed to test hardware. Sending commands through a specific set of channels to see how well they perform with mathematical equations.

Real life use and diverse application testing, along with diverse code execution on differing subsystems and kernel segments is going to paint a different picture. Benchmarks are not the end all, be all of performance. You find them everywhere because people who don't understand the finer details like to look at pretty graphs and turn around and give their own anecdotal interpretation of two colored bars. They were good when you compared two different Video cards while every other variable remained the same. Putting a tractor on different ground may give you a good idea of how stable the soil is when you it move back, then forwards and dig a small hole, but once the real work begins, your driver may have different feedback.

How fast a task is executed is solely dependent on is complexity, meaning how many opcodes and how complex the opcodes are to execute (the number of CPU cycles it takes to complete). And how well on-chip cache (L1, L2, L3, etc) is handled along with how efficient pipeline management is done. And, of course, the speed of the CPU.

That is completely false. Describing a microprocessor in business management terms while injecting a few jargon words is pretty risky too.

A task is never a task in computing these days. A task is a list of dependencies and their dependent tasks. You could have a few lines of code take longer to execute than a 3Mb batch file. Not because the complexity, but because of the exponentially larger number of other calls that need to be made.

Pipeline management is important, I agree; we're already there though. Unless you're running a lab like CERN, these little things are not going to matter much considering the bottlenecks in mainstream PC's exist in many other places. This makes the techniques or managing the flow of information and requests a moot point until such a time as everything else is upgraded.

Speed of the CPU is very similar to the above. Mainstream computing doesn't require it like everyone thinks it does. The bottlenecks exist elsewhere. You can't honestly think that being able to reach 4Ghz 14 years ago was an accident that can't be reproduced easily/cost effectively right? The speed is not as big of an issue as everyone thinks. People buy computers under misinformation... because processor A runs at 2.2Ghz, and processor B runs at 2.4Ghz, B is automatically better. Again, these little things have specialized purposes, and what you do every day on your computer is not one of them.

Last edited:
iPwn, it's a rare gift to able to say so much, and yet so little at the same time.

You've completely lost track of your original question. The bottom line is simple, whether you choose to believe it or not.

When you run benchmarks like Heaven 3.0, 3dMark11, and Aruana, and you use the exact same test bed, changing nothing but the operating system, you are not benchmarking the hardware, your are only benchmarking the operating systems, because that is the only variable.

Most novices know that. However, it's a concept that you cannot seem to grasp. You may continue this with OS-Wiz if you wish, but I'm outta here.

A mod on this forum deleted one of my posts in this thread and I take great exception to it! That post simply stated I was ignoring all of iPwn's posts from here on out.

iPwn is trying to set himself up as some great PC guru, but with nearly every post iPwn makes, they display, in most cases, a lack of knowledge and experience.

iPwn, your near total misunderstanding of how operating system work is misleading members of this forum. I ask you please to stop making posts like #21.

Mods: you may ban me anytime you wish.

A mod on this forum deleted one of my posts in this thread and I take great exception to it! That post simply stated I was ignoring all of iPwn's posts from here on out.

iPwn is trying to set himself up as some great PC guru, but with nearly every post iPwn makes, they display, in most cases, a lack of knowledge and experience.

iPwn, your near total misunderstanding of how operating system work is misleading members of this forum. I ask you please to stop making posts like #21.

Mods: you may ban me anytime you wish.

OS-Wiz I cannot see that any of your post here have been deleted..

Well, I've not messed with vBulletin in several years so don't know the current capabilities. All I can say is that post #22 in this thread should have been the one where I indicated I was ignoring all of iPwn's posts.

OS-Wiz:

We can go rounds on how OS' work and I'm not going to start that battle. You believe what you wish and I won't stop you. There is no lack of knowledge or experience here and I respect your opinion, but the thread (even starting at #21) is starting to go off course.

Threads/Posts cannot be hard deleted here. I moved five posts in total (including one of my own) out of the public eye as it was completely off topic into a site team folder. I left Hameister with a final comment and refrained from posting again. If you really want everyone to see how to ignore me, I can move it back, that's fine.

If you wish to reply to post #21 with some facts or maybe something to back your opinion, I would be happy to engage once again.

Again though, yours was not the only post moved so please stop with the theatrics. It was off-topic and therefore moved.

Last edited:
I can't believe there was this much argument over a simple decision. Both of them are going to be supported by microsoft until they are windows 95-outdated in comparison to the software that will be out by then.

Back
Top Bottom