Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #1
Daemon Poster

Send a message via Skype™ to CrackerJacker
Default Should I upgrade? Win8

I really don't know much about it. I don't like the tablet style look but I'm guessing there is a way to turn that mode off. Should I even bother upgrading it? Windows 7 works fine for me.

Is there any advantages to having it?

CrackerJacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

I woundent get it I'm waiting for windows 9 I don't know if you get anything extra in it but just seems bad to have on a pc

rowcon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Should I upgrade? Win8

No. Stay with Win7 on your desktop and save 8 for a tablet/hybrid laptop.
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

There have been many side by side, benchmark reviews, and there is simply no difference in performance between Win7 & 8.

You'd gain nothing but a new GUI which most people, including me, feels does not work well with a PC, unless it's a touch screen.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

From a manager standpoint, it sucks. Well, I guess I shouldn't say it sucks... it just takes more steps to do anything than in Windows 7.

You have to go through that "Metro" screen to do anything. You find yourself working on the desktop, then you need to run another program... so you have to go through Metro>All Apps to run the program. When you run the program it takes you back to the desktop. It's just... stupid. Of course, an easy way around this would be to have tons of icons for everything on your desktop.

I work at a school district. I was JUST about to implement a plan to install Windows 7 across the district (Just started work here a year and a half ago and it was in a mess...) Then I see Windows 8 ... I decided to give it a go. For Students and Teachers in a school it's great. They don't need to do much, so they can stay on the Metro screen. However, when they run a program or internet shortcut, it's just going to take them back to the desktop.

It looks cool though... I thought it looked pretty dumb at first but it's actually kind of cool.

What I'm looking at now, though, is upgrading tons of computers from XP to 7 and from 7 pro to my new volume enterprise 7. Should I go with 7 or 8 though? M$ HAS to tailor 8 to desktop users eventually. I don't want to install 7 this year and have to go back and install 8 the next.

I would wait for an upgrade for you though. I know my personal computer will wait too. I'm fortunate enough to have free access to everything M$ before it comes to you guys though. I'll definitely be playing with 8 at the school in the mean time.

Windows 8 is AWESOME for tablets though, windows 8 pro I mean. Check out the Surface that's coming out in a few months. It'll be just like windows 8 is now. It'll have the nice tablet interface, but it'll have the desktop interface. Personally I think they did that right. They should have just kept RT with just Metro though. I haven't used RT yet on a tablet, but if you have to switch back and fourth on a platform that doesn't allow you to install anything... well that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I mean it would take you twice as long to do anything.

Also something we gotta look at: Every review on the net says there are no apps for Windows and Apple has a ton. That's true.. but we're talking about M$ here. Windows 8 is what everyone going to college is going to be buying.. what people are going to get for their kids when they want a laptop - Simply because a Windows 8 laptop will be $300 and a mac will be $1500. I bet stores will sell a butt load on Black Friday.
This means the target of many developers will have not changed, but added a platform. Copies of apps will come quickly to Windows.
Captain Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:10 AM   #6
Golden Master

I don't think that I will even bother upgrading to Windows 8 because some of the games that I play aren't compatible with Win 8 and I am quite happy with Windows 7 right now..
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #7
Solid State Member

Desktop or Laptop = Win7
Tablet = Win8

Win8 on a desktop or laptop is bad! Really bad! To graphical, all those squares! It bringes your battery faster to 0%. Irritating OS. I disrecommend! =)
Bolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

No.

It's bloody awful.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #9
Baseband Member

I'm going to stay with windows 7 and recommend you do that as well. I hate the new interface in windows 8.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #10
Golden Master

They say its easy to but how are older people who aren't very familiar with a computer going to find it, I say just stick with Windows 7..

BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote