Serious Stability Issues with XP

idunnoe

Baseband Member
Hello all, I'm new to these forums and am having a problem with my computer.

It has fairly severe stability issues ( normally crashing 5-10 times in any given day) with a computer I built a few months ago. I'm not overclocking any hardware, and I don't suspect it to be overheating.

Usually while running more than one program and alt-tabing between them, the computer will often flash a blue error screen quickly (too quick for me to read what it says) and reboot, later asking me to send error reports. These error reports usually point towards 'device drivers' and sometimes more specifically 'video drivers.'
At other times it won't show any error, just flash the blue screen and reboot.

Latley it has also started to just stop all together on occasion. No reboot, no error messages, nothing - It just stops. I then have to manually reboot it.

I suspect it to be a driver problem, or some of my hardware is going bad (the computer is less than a year old so i don't know how that could be) but I always have the latest drivers for my video card (these errors happen no matter what driver i download)

Using ad-aware and haven't found any kind of spy ware or any thing similar, i rarely download anything other than drivers anyway.
Like I said previously It's likely not overheating as I'm not overclocking anything and there are plenty of fans (nine) in my computer with good air flow.

(the computer is running strangely slow too, all games i play have to be on the very minimum settings to get a decent framerate, even though my specs are well above the recommended)

I really have no idea what is causing these problems, Is there something I have to do that I may have missed when initially building the computer to have it run smoothly?

the specs are:

MSI k8n Neo platinum MoBo
AMD 64 2800+ cpu
ATI radeon 9600
Giel (i think) 512 (pc 400) ram
Thermaltake purepower 420w psu
80g SATA hard drive

any help would greatly appreciated.

Lets try again.

Run:
Spyware scanner
anti-virus cleaner..
Uninstall any programs you no longer need.

Next update all drivers.
Update all programs that you are using.
If problem still there. get your XP cd and do this.

Insert your XP cd into the cd drive.
Click start, run, type sfc /scannow This will now replace bad or missing system files.

Once this is done, run windows update again.

I turned off the auto reboot and found the error message i got is this:

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xBF8A1E4A, 0xF86B4BC8, 0x00000000)

win32k.sys

address BF8A1E4A base at BF00000, Date Stamp 422511a2

Does that help in finding out the problem any?

I have only 1 ram stick, and i moved it from slot 1 to slot 2.
still locking up/crashing.

all sources i've found point to a video problem of some sort it seems.

Also, if this helps the computer locked up again, but i got a different error message:

Bad Pool Header

STOP: 0x00000019 ( 0x00000020, 0xE16FD240, 0xE16FD2C0, 0x0C100411)

Does that one help in figuring this out any?

lol, no new hardware.

there seems to be many reasons for my computer crashing, everything points to something else...

Is there anyway I can find out whats causing the conflict?

Hope you have checked your fragmentation levels too. Its very likely that high frag levels can lead to an instable system with crashes and freezes becoming more frequent. Run a defragmenter regularly as part of system manitenance.

try moving the pci cards around in diferrent slots. It may be an irq conflict. Also check that the onboard video and/or audio functions are disabled if you are not using them.

Back
Top Bottom