Secondary Hardrives

ksb

Baseband Member
How to you make windows xp recognize a second hard drive as a storage drive? Previously my second drive was full and had its own operating system, and my first drive recognized it as a secondary drive. It was completely full so I formatted the second drive. Now my first drive (the one that runs XP) doesnt recognize the second drive at all.

How can I get it to recognize that second drive?

I plugged the cords in excatly as they were when the first drive recognized it. I dont know about the Bios, I dont know where in the bios to set it. The current Bios Settings (that I know of) are:

First Load: HD-0
Second Load: CDROM
Third Load: FLOPPY

Right click My Computer>Manage>Disk Management

Right click on the unallocated space, and choose format.

If this is how you formated, you have to create a partition, and assign a drive letter.

It sounds like your computer doesn't see the second drive, because it does not have a partition on it. If you can see it in Disk Management, it's there, and you need to set it up. If you don't see it in Disk Management, the jumper settings are wrong, a loose connection, or something of that nature.

pctechmike said:
If this is how you formated, you have to create a partition, and assign a drive letter.

No actually the drive refused to format in that way, in the cms too. You'd try to format and nothing would happen, the system wouldnt even think about it. So a friend suggested a disk eraser known as ISO Scrubber.

It cant be the plugs...can it? I've messed with them several times now, no matter how I plug the thing in it isnt recognized.

Is your drive connected to the primary slave drive on your motherboard? Also make sure that the jumper is selected to be slave, probably should look like:

:::|:

Hope this helps.

ksb said:
You'd try to format and nothing would happen, the system wouldnt even think about it.
lol he says: "FOget about it" ;) yea ur jumpers are probably wrong, u could also try the manager and see if the hardrive shows ^ there

right click my computer> manage> device manager> disk drives

see if both hardrives show ^ there, thats one thing just 2 make sure the drive shows ^

With the manager it shows both drives, it even says the second drive is fuctioning properly...even though it isnt. I'll check the jumper tonight when I get home from work.

jervin32189 said:
Is your drive connected to the primary slave drive on your motherboard? Also make sure that the jumper is selected to be slave, probably should look like:

:::|:

Hope this helps.

Check the print on your motherboard for specific jumper settings for your model of hard drive. This is just an example for a common Maxtor.

Back
Top Bottom