Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-04-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default SD card turning off Drive???

So after I built my self a nice gaming computer, I finally decided to plug in my Android phone to access the SD card as mass storage. Took me a minute to figure out because I had to dig through the settings so it would act like that, instead of the default being ran through a content manager but when I finally did so, chaos broke through.

My E drive, a separate HDD I use purely for installing programs had disappeared on me. At first I had no Idea what went wrong so I thought I'd give it a reboot. Then the boot manager went missing! I had to fiddle with the bios to eventually get the right order, which oddly, had to be the programs only HDD, not the SSD which holds the operating system.

After all that the drive was still missing so I went to the disk manager and found it was still there untouched. I spent a couple of minutes trying to solve why it couldn't be found, then I noticed the drive had not been assigned a letter!

How does something like that happen? Is it possible that on my phone the SD card was also E drive and the computer instead of naming it H drive it kicked my HHD off E? I am afraid now if I plug my phone back in I will have this problem again(using as a mass storage device).

Has anyone else seen this issue before?

mobius128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
Baseband Member

Default Re: SD card turning off Drive???

It is very likely that the phone was mounted as the same drive letter as the one in use. Did you previously hook up a device to this PC like a flash drive or something when you didnt have the SSD installed and that drive letter in use? Cause that could be what happened. If Windows had previously used that drive letter for that type of device, it will use that same drive letter again.

What you need to do is hook up the phone again and go into Disk Management and assign it a different drive letter. It might cause the same issues, but after you assign it a different letter that should stop.

Junior777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:43 PM   #3
Beta Member

Yes, I have used flash drives before, plus usb optical and Ipod. That sounds tempting to try that, I hope it doesn't effect much if I do.
mobius128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:25 PM   #4
In Runtime

Or also if you don't want to take the risk of connecting your phone then change your SSD's drive letter.. and then plug your phone.. may be this work..
deepesh1193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:04 AM   #5
Wizard of Wires

deepesh, You can not change the OS drive letter assignment. If you do the bios and other software will not be able to find the drive.
mobius128, just take the card out of the phone and put it in the card reader on your system.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:08 AM   #6
In Runtime

oh sorry the windows disk manager gave the option and it proceeds till the last step but after that it gives the error.. I thought the disk manager might change it too..

deepesh1193 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drive, mass storage device, missing, phone, sd card