Running software off of an external drive (Mac & Windows)

mpbanksta

Beta member
Hello,

So, I was curious if its possible to run programs off external drives, completely. I know that you can't install software to external drives completely because they put files all over the place.

In my case, I am trying to put a bunch of VST (Virtual synths) onto a drive that can be used by multiple people. So when I am done using whatever virtual synth, i can disconnect the drive and hand it to another to use. Is what I am describing possible? I don't want to be a copy thing either, i'd want to lock the drive (I assume switch it to Read-only with password) so that you would not be able to put it on your computer, only use it when you have the drive plugged in.

Basically I am working on a studio rental business and a service I thought cool would be if clients were able to "rent" softsynths for their DAW, load them in, work them, and then print them to audio so that when they leave they can keep the content they created, and not need the synth any longer to work on their music.

I look forward to your responses, thanks!

Unfortunately it's not really possible - at least the "locking" the drive part isn't. (Well, theoretically speaking yes it's possible, no it's not practical.) You're essentially describing DRM there, and trying to knock a solution up yourself just won't cut it. The files themselves would have to be reverse engineered and locked to the drive in some way so it only worked when it was plugged in, much like the hardware dongle based solution that you see (or at least used to, I haven't used it in a while) on Nuendo and the like.

Back
Top Bottom