Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-28-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Restoring windows on another computer?

Hi, I have windows 7 64 bit on one of my computers. It didn't come with a Win. 7 install disk so I was wondering if I could only back up the OS (Not the other files I've downloaded afterwards) to my new computer. If I did would it also transfer the drivers and I'd have to worry about removing them? Also is there any guide how to put only the OS onto a disk? Thanks!

CBJ023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
Wizard of Wires

Default Re: Restoring windows on another computer?

That's copyright infringement. One disc, one key, one computer.

setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
Baseband Member

Ok, thank you and I was wondering the OEM works fine unless you change out the motherboard correct? Also do you know if Amazon or Newegg sells a non-OEM (Well a normal one I guess) Windows 7 Premium (The cheapest) I'll go OEM if I have to because the only non-OEM I've found so far is $300 and is Professional on Newegg.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
BSOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ023 View Post
Ok, thank you and I was wondering the OEM works fine unless you change out the motherboard correct? Also do you know if Amazon or Newegg sells a non-OEM (Well a normal one I guess) Windows 7 Premium (The cheapest) I'll go OEM if I have to because the only non-OEM I've found so far is $300 and is Professional on Newegg.
Actually. Setishock. You can do multiple installs with one disk. With it is the (System builder) version.. And Microsoft doesn't give a hoot if you do multiple installs with any windows OS. If you have a problem with the key, you call Microsoft up, ask them to activate it again, even though you've used it, and they'll do it.
Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:07 PM   #5
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life View Post
Actually. Setishock. You can do multiple installs with one disk. With it is the (System builder) version.. And Microsoft doesn't give a hoot if you do multiple installs with any windows OS. If you have a problem with the key, you call Microsoft up, ask them to activate it again, even though you've used it, and they'll do it.
It depends on the reason why you are reinstalling - replacing a failed motherboard on an OEM system is 100% legal and fine. Taking that key and disk and using it on a different, new, computer is never allowed via the EULA in windows. You need the retail (regular) version in order to do that.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
Baseband Member

Ok well I'll probably get the OEM then don't care about professional or help from MS, I will probably change the motherboard but that won't be for years when I do I'll probably go to a future version of an I5 if they have it I'd like an upgrade from the Phenom and I'd get a better videocard