Resolving Host

ukrberserker23

Baseband Member
I keep getting this message on all my browsers when I am switching pages. At first, I thought it was because some of my accounts were still showing me as being in Ukraine. I fixed all that, and I still get the messages. I know there was another thread about this, but couldn't find it. Any way to fix this besides buying an Apple computer?

Resolving Host? Could you be more specific? If you want to really test if an Apple would fix it, install Safari and give it a whirl.

I'm taking a stab at it here because you didn't give a ton of information, but if your web browser (again knowing which browser you are using would help) is constantly giving a resolving host message there could be a number of issues. My first thought is network connection or malware on the web browser. Verify you have a solid connection to the internet by pinging google or some other company.

If your response times are crazy high (say greater than 50ms) then you have a browser issue. First flush your dns cach (from command line type ipconfig /flushdns). This will ensure it's not a DNS issue.

Second I would try another browser, if you are using IE, switch to Chrome, if you are using Chrome try IE or firefox. If that fixed your issue you probably have some malware on your browser and you need to either reinstall it or in the case of IE do a complete restore from the Advanced Tab.

If switching browsers gives you the same results, if you have a solid connection to the internet then i would boot into safemode with networking and see if your issues continue. If they continue you have an issue at the driver / os level (again assuming the above suggestions didn't fix it) or a nasty malware.

Purchasing an apple computer would hardly be a logical solution. It would be like saying well i haven't gotten my oil changed in my car for 5 years and it's making some funky noises, screw it time for a new car.

I have Windows 8.1 on an HP 2000 laptop. I have tried Firefox, Chrome, IE, Waterfox, Torch, and Safari. It does the same on every browser, and on every public internet connection I have tried. I have never seen an Apple computer that had any problems like all of my Windows machines. If you buy a Yugo, and change the oil every week, you still own a POS car. If you buy a Mercedes, and don't change the oil for 5 years, it will still be running, mostly trouble free. If it was malware, I'm sure Norton would have found it by now.

Malware no, Norton is geared mostly towards virus's and not malware. Sounds like possibly malware has infected the machine and is using a proxy for route your internet traffic.

I have no problems with Apple, i have a Macbook Pro at home and i promise you it is not issue-free. I'm just saying purchasing a new computer because of this one issue is a bit heavy-handed.

Load windows in safemode with networking - do you get the same results?

Have you tried the dns flush that Lex mentioned? To me, this is most likely a DNS issue. I'm not sure if the Mac OS does it but windows tends to keep local copies of DNS addresses so you don't have to wait for your ISP/DNS server to fetch the proper IP address. What can happen is malware can alter your local cache to point everything to the wrong address which then takes time for your browser to correct.

Bingo, that was one of my original thoughts. DNS is DNS, Apple or Windows they both resolve DNS entries. I'm not sure where the local copy is for Apple but in our Enterprise Environment i don't have a DNS server for Apple and a DNS server for Windows - it's just DNS.

I was also thinking if not DNS malware is redirecting his internet through a proxy - something that restoring IE back to it's default settings would fix.

I am still getting the error message, even though I am now using Opera, and Chrome again. It pops up no matter what browser I use. I just completely reset Windows a moth ago, and have it ready to update to Win 10. I have run Spybot, Malwarebytes, AVG, etc on my laptop to remove any problems, but no luck fixing this. It never did this last year on my home internet service, but does it on every public service I connect to.

Google:
Use the System Configuration Tool (msconfig.exe) - works in Windows 8 & 8.1. The easiest method for booting into Safe Mode is to use the System Configuration tool, also known as msconfig.exe. Go to the Boot tab and, in the Boot options section check the box that says "Safe boot". Then, click or tap OK.

Back
Top Bottom