Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-01-2007, 04:54 PM   #1
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to GlasseyeUK
Default Removing Vista from Dual boot with XP

Ok, I installed Vista alongside XP, as a dual boot, with XP being in the C: partition and Vista on the F: partition.

I made a mistake of installing ultramon, which is totally uncompatible, and if you do try to install it, then make sure you untick install mirror as it completely messes up vista.

I have tried numerous fixes as recommended on the intraweb but can't get it sorted, the other aspect of it, is that my p910i is not compatible with vista, well the software isn't so I am going to remove Vista, for the time being.

So the long way round to getting to the question is, if I just format the F: partition will this return my system to normal, or do I have to do a complete reinstall of XP, which I really don't want to do, as XP is set up just the way I like it...

Time tells all, but if the moment in time passes and you miss it, then you will remember it for ever!!
GlasseyeUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:49 PM   #2
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: Removing Vista from Dual boot with XP

I believe once you format the f drive, all you will need to do is repair the master boot record.

To repair it, pop in your XP CD and boot off of it. At the first screen press 'R'. If it asks for a Admin password and you do not have one set, just press enter. When it gets to a point where it is virtually like command prompt(after pass word) type fixboot (enter) It'll ask if you are sure, type "y". Then type "fixmbr" and press enter.

Restart your computer and it should boot into XP no problem. Just as a note, don't use the quotes while in the recovery console.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:06 PM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se

this is because vista uses the new bcdedit boot menu and if you format the partition it will be wiped out and the computer wont know whats going on. so doing what celegorm says will revert back to using boot.ini
Old 06-01-2007, 06:21 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

Ok so doing this all, should return it back to my original settings?

maybe I should back everything up to be on the safe side.........would be a real nightmare to lose the way this is all set up.....

Time tells all, but if the moment in time passes and you miss it, then you will remember it for ever!!
Old 06-01-2007, 07:01 PM   #5
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se

yep it will go back to xp on its own. theres not much risk of things going wrong. even if the fixmbr fails you could just reinstall vista to get the boot menu back, but thats worst case scenario
Old 06-02-2007, 06:29 AM   #6
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

Always backup before doing this stuff, if the above commands fail then use the bootcfg /rebuild command and that will definately sort it, dont use this till ya have tried the others (which should work anyway)
Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 07:36 AM   #7
Daemon Poster

All worked fine, and now it is back to normal........probably gonna give it another 6 months before trying Vista again....