Removed OS is "still" there

FireDust

In Runtime
I have the following problem:
I tried putting Windows 7 (From original CD) to a external hard drive, It didn't let me, so I took the 2,5Inch hard drive out of the external box, and removed the SATA to USB converter and then plugged into my MB. I successfully installed it, but when I removed it from my MB, whenever I start up my PC, I shows me a screen to choose from 2 OS's even though I removed the drive, It is quite annoying and the fact that my Keyboard acts weird in BIOS (If I press Down Arrow to choose the second OS in the list, it just acts like I pressed ENTER) doesn't help it... I tried many things, like Putting the original CD back in, and clicking on "Repair my computer" but It said "Windows could automatically repair the problem, please contact your PC manufacturer" Blah Blah Blah...

Also, don't tell me to contact my PC manufacturer because I built the PC myself xD.
Thanks in advance!

1. Click Start
2. In the Search text box, type msconfig
3. Launch msconfig by selecting it from the search results above the search text box.

After msconfig is launched:

1. Go to the Boot tab
2. Select the boot entry you want to delete.
3. Click the Delete button and then click OK.

** MAKE SURE YOU DELETE THE RIGHT BOOT ENTRY!

Awesome, awesome, awesome! But I got 2 more questions on you! :D

1. Is there a way I can actually boot into the windows that is now on my External HDD and how?

2. I got an SSD in my system as a OS Boot drive, can I put it inside my External HDD case and use the SATA to USB converter for it without damaging any of the components? Shortly, Can I make my own External SSD? xD

ok let me answer them backwards. . .

Yes you can take drives out of your PC and put them into external enclosures they are exactly the same thing.

Booting to your Widows on the External HDD should work.
In theory if your external HDD has windows on it and your motherboard supports booting from USB then yes it will work, however i'm not 100% sure if something "special" is meant to happen when you install Windows on an external drive (over USB) as opposed to it being internal?

My best hunch on this is it should be absolutely fine, you just may need to look at the boot order / options in your BIOS.

Thank you! So If I put my SSD into the enclosure, I can boot from it on my PC (I think I Mobo can boot from a USB). But what If I want to boot from it on another PC, or a laptop? Will It work? I'm asking because the drivers for each GPU, MoBo, and everything else are different.

Back
Top Bottom