removed codecs, now no sound, no device??

jje

Beta member
Computer is an Acer Inspire 3500+, AST 160-UA352H

I removed a codec package along with a couple of players, so I could just use Media Player to play songs and movies.

Now, the computer won't play any sound at all, and it says Multimedia Audio Controller doesn't have a driver. I didn't remove any driver?

I downloaded and installed Realtek AC'97 drivers (right from Acer website) but nothing.

What happened? How can I get sound back?

You may have disabled your audio in your Bios when you removed the codec and drivers so go into your bios and check your sound device is enabled.

Could it be possible that you deleted the codecs required to play the movies and music you have? I have no knowledge of media player that has all audio and video codecs included in the player.

If you want to play a DviX file, you need the DviX codec, so you may have to re-download some codecs according to your video library.

when you turn on your PC hold down either the delete,f2 or f8 buttons, its usually delete or f2, f8 is safemode most times, try delete and if it boots into windows the restart and try f2. you should see a blue menu and in one of them will be your audio devices, just make sure you have it enabled.

The audio device is enabled. (it's XP btw)
Found New Hardware seems to find the Multimedia Audio Controller any time, but I can't find the driver that will run it, even if I download the 'driver' from Acer. What might be missing?

have you downloaded the realtek ac 97 driver off the realtek site?
also you could try going to control panel>sound, and making sure you have the right audio device selected.

I downloaded a driver (278) from the Acer site, a couple of times, and nothing.

Just on a whim I googled for this driver, and found, whaddyaknow, a newer one (383). Works now!

Back
Top Bottom