Remote Applications - Citrix?

ssc456

Fully Optimized
Hey Guys,

Right if I wanted to have a windows application or a couple of them "hosted" on my server somewhere, and I wanted to setup a "client" or several of them in various different locations how would I go about this?

Essentially I want to have an application that users can launch without having to install it on their machines.

I've used Citrix servers before which host the application, you have a Citrix client on your machine and launch the application from there, all of the load of the application is on the server not your PC.

What alternatives are there to a Citrix style setup?

OK i've been checking out this:
Terminal Service Plus - Features

This looks like the tool that i need, the 2 key features i need being:
Seamless and RemoteApp
and Application Publishing Service

Just before i look nay further, does anybody know anything like this that's perhaps open source just while i'm testing?

If the server is running Linux, you can do it with X-forwarding over SSH. It's easier if the clients are running Linux too but you can do it with Putty on Windows (it just takes a little more to set it up).

Basically you install the X application on the server (like Firefox or something) and from the client, SSH in with X-forwarding enabled. When you launch the app from the server, it'll show it on your local machine.

Back
Top Bottom