Reinstalling XP. got some questions...

WeedCali

Baseband Member
Hello CF! my computer has been running like crap lately. hiccups and freezes. for instance, ill be playing need for speed underground 2 and every minute or so, my fps will drop to 1-3. it happens while using other programs and such so if theres anything you can suggest to fix that, feel fee to let me know.

anyway, to my point. ive reinstalled xp many times but lately, anytime ive done it was on a formatted drive. i dont plan on reformatting. i know you can reinstall while still saving your programs and such. however, i dont quite remember what it saves. i seem to remember having to reinstall some of my programs. i have FL Studio and many plugins, would i lose those? also, pictures and music?

sorry for such noob questions but its just been so long i cant remember :p

thanks to anyone who can help :)

No worries on the questions!

Windows XP (From what I know and understand) automatically formats the drive when you reinstall so if there's anything you want to save, then back it up via another hard drive or optical disc. For FL Studio, you can take the folder in Program Files and copy the entire folder (C:\Program Files\FL Studio\ or whatever the directory is) and copy that, then after reinstalling FL Studio on the new format (To insert keys into registry) copy the folder back to the Program Files directory overwriting the new format with the old installation to retain all the plugins, settings, etc.

really? i can swear theres an option to just install a new instance of XP while leaving your file system intact. i guess i could back up my important stuff and just reformat. i was hoping to not have to do that so i could save some time but oh well.

Thanks for info :)

ok so im backing up some of my stuff now. i have a question about itunes though. is there any way to save playlists? i have a real nice collection of playlists and i dont want to have to make them all over again.

Actually, when you are installing windows XP, there is an option to install without formatting the drive, and it saves programs to a folder on the C: drive called windows.old.

However, I am not certain if it saves EVERYTHING, so to be safe, back up anything that you cannot simply reinstall or redownload.

And this link will show you how to save playlists: http://support.apple.com/kb/TA47831

Back
Top Bottom