Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-23-2004, 05:42 AM   #1
Beta Member

Default Reinstalling Windows XP Home on Dell computer(s)

I really didn't want to play "newbie with a question" but this thing is driving me nuts. I tried searching for the answer here, but "XP" was too short to use and so I went through all the pages of the "Operating System" folder to see if there was an answer to my question first but I was unsuccessful.

Basically, I have a Dell desktop and a Dell laptop that originally came with Windows XP (Pro on the desktop and Home on the laptop). I am trying to reformat and reinstall Windows XP on both computers. I have done this numerous times with other operating systems with no problem but for some reason when I try to overwrite XP with XP I run into this same problem every time.

(I'm going by memory so these may not be exact)
I boot from the XP CD that came with each machine
Hit enter to install a new copy of XP
Delete the existing partition
Install XP

Everything always looks like it's working as usual, but upon restart, I get a screen that asks me what operating system I want to load (Lists XP twice as the operating system). The first choice is always the newly installed OS, but the second version fails to boot (problem with configuration preventing boot). I thought this was a fluke the first time with the desktop, but the second time with the laptop means that something to do with the combination of trying to overwrite XP with XP and them being Dells means it's not just a fluke. Does anyone know how to solve this problem? Changing the operating system is not an option since this is a work computer and we have a contract with Dell. I'm trying to avoid talking to Dell's tech support because they drive me batty.

I appreciate any suggestions regarding this. Thank you.

ZENGHOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 08:51 PM   #2
Guru

Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn

Hmmm... I don't know what that is all about. I have done the same thing dozens of times and its never had that problem. Sounds like the format on both is not fully working - or that something is stopping the formatter from completely wiping the Hard Drive.

Have you tried FDisk?

If that does not work; then I would recommend ringing up Dell and asking for a new CD - or to get a bloke around to do it for you. No point in buying a warrenty unless you get something fixed!

Old 07-24-2004, 07:59 AM   #3
Site Team

Default Re: Reinstalling Windows XP Home on Dell computer(s)

I've had this problem before at one time or another with every version of windows NT (but not every installation), so I'll offer my solution.

It sounds like you have an erroneous entry in you boot.ini file,
It's a hidden read only file on the C drive. un protect it and edit it in notepad and take out the entry that is wrong.
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 02:29 AM   #4
Beta Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by root
I've had this problem before at one time or another with every version of windows NT (but not every installation), so I'll offer my solution.

It sounds like you have an erroneous entry in you boot.ini file,
It's a hidden read only file on the C drive. un protect it and edit it in notepad and take out the entry that is wrong.
Thanks to both of you for your responses. I was able to edit the boot.ini file and it seems to have solved my problem.
ZENGHOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 08:47 AM   #5
Guru

Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn

Cool; glad to be of help.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:47 PM   #6
Beta Member

it looks as though you have created two partions...both with winxp on them...you have edited your boot.ini file but the other OS is still on there....what you should do is get ahold of a win98 startup disk and delete your primary partion, and any logical or extended drives that are associated with them.....then, turn on pc with boot disk still in and type format c:, this will prepare your pc for a fresh installation of one OS.....if you need more help just let me know and i can break it down...hope this helped
S_Doherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 04:38 PM   #7
Baseband Member

Send a message via MSN to yingyang264

If i just say dell will i be forgiven lol
nah like lord kalthorn said up above so im nt gna repeat it..

and yeh you've fixed the problem so w00t

yingyang264 is offline   Reply With Quote