Reinstall Windows 8.1

ChaosAD

Beta member
Hi there.
I am planning to do a fresh install of Windows 8.1 but I was hoping to get some advice before I do. I have Windows installed to my SSD but all of my programs and games are installed to my HDD. Would I straight away be able to use the programs once I have reinstalled Windows? Or do I need to do something to put them back in the registry?

My other question is with Steam. Will I have to reinstall my entire library or is there a way of using the current game installs? (Last time I reinstalled Windows I had to reinstall all of my games)

Thanks

Hi ! You will probably get better answers from our members, but here's my answer.
A fresh install takes you back to out of the box. That means you are basically starting from day one. You need to save all your data to a external drive before you perform a fresh install!
Gary!
Why are you doing a freash install??

Hi Here's how I handle these things. I get my OS just like I want it with all the programs I need. Then I make a image with a 3rd party program like Macrium Reflect.
Any new data is saved to a external drive. When I want a fresh install, it's setting there waiting for me. The only thing I will need to install are a few up dates.
It's so easy. Once you get your PC all set up after the fresh install, make a image!
Gary!

While it's always a good idea to have a backup, backing up to an external drive wouldn't be a requirement here as it's on a drive he isn't wiping clean.

Ignoring Steam for a second, you'd still need to reinstall the programs. They create registry files and other system entries that would be lost in the reinstall. You could back up the registry but you'd likely be copying too much which defeats the point of the reinstall.

Back to Steam. Last time I reformatting was right after steam started saving to the D drive if setup. I found that after steam was reinstalled and pointed to the original install folder (where steam puts all of it's games) then it picked them up. What might not be a bad idea though if you have the storage space for it, is to back up the games installed in Steam (File, backup and restore menu). That way if you do need to reinstall the games, it's just a quick restore and not a long process of individual downloading.

Thanks for the answers guys.

Donetao - I am reinstalling Windows as it is something I like to do every now and then to keep the computer fresh and clean. Spring clean, if you like.

Celegorm - That's pretty much answered my question well enough, thanks.
You said about pointing Steam to the install folder directory, how would one do that?
Also, when I do reinstall Steam should I install it to it's existing directory? or create a new one?

Did BK's link help? Off my head I don't recall (it's been a while) so I'm hoping it does.

To answer the last question though, I'd personally reinstall steam to the existing directory.

Back
Top Bottom