Reflect back up software

setishock

Wizard of Wires
I finally sat down and gave the back up software a test run.
Every time I started the program a box came up asking if I wanted to make a recovery media. So I formatted a thumb drive in FAT32 as per the instructions and let it do its thing. It advised to test it right away so I rebooted and went in to the boot manager. I selected the recovery device and let it boot up. I hadn't made the image so all it saw was the back up windows is doing every Sunday per my settings.

I booted back up in windows and open the program again. This time the window did not show up. I checked the gigs used on the C: drive to compare to what the program had found. They matched so I was a little more comfortable with proceeding.
Next I moved everything off one of the drives that didn't have much on it. A WD 500gig Black drive. Went back to the program and selected the entire C: drive to be imaged and put on the 500gig drive.

Took all of 4 minutes to finish. Then I rebooted in to the recovery media and checked to make sure it could see the image. It did.
One other thing I'm not real warm and fuzzy with is it used a medium compression to make the image smaller. I've had the worst luck with compressed files not blooming back out properly and winding up being useless. So I'm hoping this breaks the streak of bad luck.

Now I have my sights set on my laptop. I'd like to make an image of how it sits now because w10 is nagging me to proceed with the upgrade.

Hi seti! I'm sure you know all this but I'll post this any way.The recovery media is a Linux based live CD. You will need it to boot with if you ever want to restore the image of your OS you created. The new version of Macrium has a option you can use that will illuminate the rescue CD. I have mine set to boot to Windows or to Macrium on a restart. It works great and the rescue CD is not needed. This is a new feature that Macrium just added.
It works great. I have already checked it out, but it's good to have the rescue CD also.
It would be a great time to create a image of your lap top before upgrading to W10. You don't like W10, you just use the image to restore back to W7. That works great also. Been there and done that.
I feel like I know Macrium very well and If you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer them.
Gary!

Attachments

• Capture48.jpg
    Capture48.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I would be happy to explain how to use Macrium without the rescue CD if any one is interested. It's a new feature. You have to down load the up grade version 6.0.753. to use this feature. It's free and slicker than buttons on a shirt! LOL
Gary!

Good for you seti. Macrium will never let you down. Seriously I know Macrium very well and I'm always around to offer what I know about the program. Been using Macrium for years.
Gary!

I use the Standard Version 6 which is a paid version because I make monthly image files but in between I also make incremental files as well which free version does not do. I recently went to restore from inside Windows and was told to use a Rescue Disk which I normally do for restore anyway and could not get it to work in Windows.

I always use the highest compression on Macrium and before that on Acronis and Drive Image going back 15 years and have never had an issue with using compression Set, so I am not sure what kind of issues you have but I see no reason for them.

Hi Rich! I'm not sure what you're saying?? Are you saying that you could not boot with the rescue CD?? I've never had a problem with the rescue CD!
I recently went to restore from inside Windows and was told to use a Rescue Disk which I normally do for restore anyway and could not get it to work in Windows.

No read it I am saying I had to use the rescue disk to do the restore, I could not initiate it in Windows.
Cool ! I understand now! It has to be programmed to initiate the restore from windows!
Go to other tasks at the top! Select- Add Recovery Boot Menu Option!
When you restart your PC, you will be given the option to boot into Windows or Macrium. Then you won't need the recovery CD. Works good! I love it. It's a new feature recently added!;)
Gary!
PS I know my Macrium pretty well my friend!!:thumb:

It's a self defense mechanism built in to windows. It will not allow you to do anything fatal to the OS while it's running. Like formatting the drive for example. Other drives, yes. OS drive, no.

Back
Top Bottom