Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-11-2015, 06:53 AM   #1
Baseband Member
 
amarinelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 47
Default Recovery options Help

My computer won't start I have a window that asked me to start system restore even though I never prompted it to do so I said cancel and restart and the same window would keep coming up so I just went through the system restart process choosing a different restore point 7 times because after each restore I would get a window saying it was unsuccessful so I tried system repair 4 times an I would still get a window saying it could not be done so I tried a disc image recovery because I had a back up on a external drive after 3 hours it completed but computer would not start does anyone have any suggestion on what I can try next any help at all would be so appreciated thank you ,Ann
__________________

amarinelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:25 AM   #2
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 463
Default Re: Recovery options Help

Your hard drive may have become faulty or you may have got a virus that is preventing your hard drive from booting into Windows. You could try making a boot disk to access your computer or a boot usb pen drive. Using one of these would allow you to see if your hard drive is accessable and allow you to get any files off the hard drive. You would need a computer with internet access to make a boot disk or a boot pen drive. Also a bit more information on your computer and operating system would be helpful. If your pc is a desktop hardware would be far more accessable than if it were a laptop. You can download Hiren's boot cd from here:-

Download Hiren's Boot CD 15.2 (Free) for Windows

this will make a bootable cd and allow you to access your pc and also contains diagnostic tools. You do need to be a bit computer savvy to use it though.
__________________

pete.i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:07 PM   #3
Baseband Member
 
amarinelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 47
Default Re: Recovery options Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete.i View Post
Your hard drive may have become faulty or you may have got a virus that is preventing your hard drive from booting into Windows. You could try making a boot disk to access your computer or a boot usb pen drive. Using one of these would allow you to see if your hard drive is accessable and allow you to get any files off the hard drive. You would need a computer with internet access to make a boot disk or a boot pen drive. Also a bit more information on your computer and operating system would be helpful. If your pc is a desktop hardware would be far more accessable than if it were a laptop. You can download Hiren's boot cd from here:-

Download Hiren's Boot CD 15.2 (Free) for Windows

this will make a bootable cd and allow you to access your pc and also contains diagnostic tools. You do need to be a bit computer savvy to use it though.
This is great advice can I also take my software once I have access to my hard drive and back it up on a external hard drive?
amarinelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:06 PM   #4
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 463
Default Re: Recovery options Help

It depends on what you mean by software. You will be able to retrieve your personal files providing your hard drive is accessable. You wouldn't be able to retrieve your installed programs. Files are written to all sorts of places on the hard drive when a program is installed and although you could, possibly, retrieve the program folder the registry files etc wouldn't be retrievable so you wouldn't be able to reinstall the programs. I think first though you need to see whether your hard drive is actually working and the Hirems Boot Disk will tell you that and there are other diagnostic and repair programs included on that disk.
pete.i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:25 AM   #5
Baseband Member
 
amarinelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 47
Default Re: Recovery options Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete.i View Post
It depends on what you mean by software. You will be able to retrieve your personal files providing your hard drive is accessable. You wouldn't be able to retrieve your installed programs. Files are written to all sorts of places on the hard drive when a program is installed and although you could, possibly, retrieve the program folder the registry files etc wouldn't be retrievable so you wouldn't be able to reinstall the programs. I think first though you need to see whether your hard drive is actually working and the Hirems Boot Disk will tell you that and there are other diagnostic and repair programs included on that disk.
Hi I successfully downloaded and have booted from the Hirems boot disk and fortunately my hard drive is there I have first started by taking some files that I wanted to back up and put them on a external hard drive I am going to next try running the Rogue killer program that is suggested I do have a image recovery on a back up external hard drive if I eventually need it thank you for all your help
amarinelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:39 AM   #6
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 463
Default Re: Recovery options Help

Your welcome. You may find that, once you have got your personal files off the hard drive it could be advantageous to do a clean reinstall of your operating sysytem and programs.
pete.i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 12:00 PM   #7
Baseband Member
 
amarinelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 47
Default Re: Recovery options Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete.i View Post
Your welcome. You may find that, once you have got your personal files off the hard drive it could be advantageous to do a clean reinstall of your operating sysytem and programs.
Would you know how I would do a clean install when I cant boot except with the Hirens boot cd? I have all the image recovery cd's I made when I first bought the
PC
amarinelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 02:26 PM   #8
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 463
Default Re: Recovery options Help

The image CDs should boot themelves assuming you used imaging software to make those images. If all you did was copy your personal files to those disks then they will not boot. Assuming that you made those images with imaging software, such as Macrium Reflect or the software included on new computers, then just put the disk in and start the computer and the image should reinstall everything that was on your pc when you made that image.

I still do not know what operating system you have but if it is Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 then you can download a Media Creation Tool that will make a bootable CD or USB pen drive of those operating systems.
pete.i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 03:01 PM   #9
Baseband Member
 
amarinelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 47
Default Re: Recovery options Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete.i View Post
The image CDs should boot themelves assuming you used imaging software to make those images. If all you did was copy your personal files to those disks then they will not boot. Assuming that you made those images with imaging software, such as Macrium Reflect or the software included on new computers, then just put the disk in and start the computer and the image should reinstall everything that was on your pc when you made that image.

I still do not know what operating system you have but if it is Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 then you can download a Media Creation Tool that will make a bootable CD or USB pen drive of those operating systems.
I have windows 7 I have a seagate sync image back up which backed up last on November 20th I also have 4 disc I made on the computer when it was new I labeled them Disc image 1,2,3,4
amarinelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 03:44 PM   #10
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 463
Default Re: Recovery options Help

Well ( that does seem to be a lot of disks for a new computer image) anyway put disk 1 into the CD player and then start the computer and the computer should boot from the disk and then perform the recovery.

---------- Post added at 03:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 PM ----------

It should prompt you to put each disk in as it is needed.
__________________

pete.i is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0