recovery cd's...can it work for me?

serpentracer

In Runtime
my dads HP touchsmart computer's hard drive is failing.
ultimately I guess the only option is to replace the drive.
now my question is, can the recovery discs install the os or not?
I'm getting mixed answers from a few people. some try to tell me they've installed a os from them others tell me the discs fix a broken os only and cannot install the os on a new drive.

I'd hate for him to have to buy another computer or a drive + windows 7.
it's a toss up if the computer is even worth it.

the linux route is not for him. he can barely understand how to use windows.

You can do a clean install of the OS with the recovery discs.

Windows 7 does have OEM versions, just look on newegg, I believe ultimate is about $180. Unfortunately though, I don't see any combo deals for a HDD and win7, unless of course you wanna get your dad a nice shiny SSD ;)

But honestly, all you really need is a new HDD if it indeed is failing, as you already have an OS.

did the computer come with windows 7. if so the recovery disks will not have the OS on there and is only used to reinstall the os that is partitioned on the hard drive. but since ur hd is broken ur only choice i beleive would be to contact hp and order the os on a cd.

well actually it has vista. no reason to buy it or install it again in my opinion.

his drive is def failing. the smart monitor says so.
it works for about 10 min and locks up the computer.
they said it's been doing that for about 6 months. they thought nothing of it.
that's how little they know...

I got on it and instantly knew something wasn't right.
the only other problem with this thing is it's like a mac. I think it has a laptop drive in it.
and I'll have to do some major work to get it out.

HP says the recovery disc will not install the os on a new drive. it only corrects the windows files on the existing drive. doesn't really make a whole lot of sense since one of the main reasons to use something like those cd's is because of a drive failure.

oh ok. same with vista then. the reinstallation for the os is on the hard drive and not on the recovery disk.

Back
Top Bottom