Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-02-2007, 08:27 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Recovering lost partition table?

Hello everyone,

I've been searching for hours for solution on this, but no luck. I was trying to install Gentoo on my system shared by a Windows XP (was planning to test it out first). However, at the partitioning step, the option was confusing that I accidentally deleted the partitions on the drive. I immediately stopped everything and shut it down hopefully to find a solution online. I know I can reinstall Windows and I do have backups of my data, but installing all my favorite applications and resetting the configuration for all of them is a pain in the neck. i understand that what the system did was just modifying the parition table, without actually destroying the data. Can someone lead me to resolve this crisis of mine? Thanks so much!

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." -Rich Cook
kenhkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:39 PM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz
Default Re: Recovering lost partition table?

Try booting from your XP cd and going to recovery console. Then try the FIXBOOT, FIXMBR, and lastly BOOTCFG /REBUILD (use this last if the others dont work) heres info on it. http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true
They have never let me down yet
Good luck

Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:59 PM   #3
Baseband Member

OH! MY! GOODNESS! My stuff just magically re-appeared! Thank you sooooo much for that simple trick. I should've come onto this forum soon enough. Thanks!!!
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." -Rich Cook
kenhkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:02 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

Glad its sorted mate
Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote