Recovering formatted hard drive files

adventureboy

Beta member
Ok, this is a long shot but I hope somebody may be able to help. I have a Fostex DMT8-VL hard disk recording machine for recording/mixing music, it was last used around 2000 and the drive was formatted after use. It's been in storage since.
My understanding is that the machine uses something called FDMS-2 (Fostex Data Management System) as it's filing system, and that the recorded sounds should be there as WAV files.
My first question: is it possible to recover the formatted disk and get those WAV files back? I've recovered deleted files before in windows successfully. The hard drive has never been used or recorded on again since the last format. I would like to be able to import the sounds/songs into a modern pc-based music prog like Cubase.
My second question is how do I do it? The FDMS-2 format would likely not be recognised by windows and from what little I have discovered, I may need to mount the image of the hard drive and use Linux to do the file extraction. If I mount the image of the drive initially, will it show the formatted files? I'm really not sure how to do this but I'm just asking for your help and would appreciate some input or opinions.
I've found a site where a computer guy appears to be doing the same thing. I've mailed him twice but the site looks like it's not been updated for a while and I'm hoping he gets back to me.
this is the link to his page below. Does it make any sense to anybody here?

Trapdoor Developer's Collective - The scientific art

Back
Top Bottom