Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-07-2015, 02:00 AM   #1
Beta Member
Default Recommend a Good *.dbx repair tool Microsoft Outlook expres

This is a follow on to a previous post. Basically I reformated and reinstalled an os xp (quick format) and later found out that there were required outlook express 6.0 mail files *.dbx on the hard drive. I have used get databack to restore the *.dbx files which was ok they seem to be the correct files going by the names of them but they were stored in temp folders temp internet files etc. So i recovered anyway and tried to import them into outlook express which will not recognise them. So I have began looking for a dbx repair tool i have tried advanced outlook express repair tool it says it recovers the messages but they are all 1 kb and nothing in them it succesifully recovered 3 messages properly. Can anyone recommend other repair tools that i could use to repair ?

jenniferlizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 02:04 AM   #2
Fully Optimized
Default Re: Recommend a Good *.dbx repair tool Microsoft Outlook expres

GetDataBack often recovers partials of files, and it's possible that's what you've got. If they are incomplete you might be out of luck. You could try running a tool such as this https://www.repairtoolbox.com/outlookexpressrepair.html on the files.

I assume that you've checked the email server and they emails you need are not still stored there in a deleted items folder or the like.

crazyman143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:25 PM   #3
Default Re: Recommend a Good *.dbx repair tool Microsoft Outlook expres

Outlook Express stores email messages in DBX files which are located in the

%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{Identity-GUID}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\

If you recovered files from a different location, such as the "temp folders temp internet files etc." they may not be the correct files. That may be why you're having a problem recovering the actual messages.

For more: My main computer crashed and data has been retrieved from the hard dri - Geeks to Go Forum

You could see if A corrupt Outlook Express DBX viewer with a wide range of advanced file recovery features helps you.
alexandravaps is offline   Reply With Quote