Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-17-2011, 12:20 AM   #1
Baseband Member
Default Read only

Hi All,

I am using Win 7 on both my notebook and desktop computers....most of the time I use the desktop to work on, but periodically I use my notebook.

Openoffice Calc (spreadsheet) is the most frequently used program, one such spreadsheet which is located on an external HDD, I update daily, however, if I have to use this spreadsheet on the other machine, I always get a read only message coming up everytime.

I have been into the document properties and changed the box marked as read only (on both machines) but everytime I swap machines it still comes up as read only.... I am running out of names to call the spreadsheet.

Openoffice say its NOT their software problem and I have tried everything I can think of.

Has anyone got any ideas what may be causing this problem.

desdichato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
Site Team
Default Re: Read only

It could be a shared permissions problem. Right click on the folder the file is located in and hover over Share With > Advanced Sharing. Again click Advanced sharing and then click on permissions. Under groups and user names you should have "Everyone" listed and full control checked.
Humans are the only creatures that won't live up to the their potential. Give everything your all. When you die, die on E.

So I ask you, what do you intend to do now?
iPwn is offline   Reply With Quote